www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

New Project Stuart Turner P6M + gearbox

+8
Matth92
Lewis MacRae
Abes
Andrew1971
Stamford24
nutgone
Ianhw77k
blackvanman
12 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

New Project Stuart Turner P6M + gearbox - Page 5 Empty Re: New Project Stuart Turner P6M + gearbox

Post by nutgone Sun May 19 2013, 19:50

I think that's how I'm building up my stocks of odds & ends Stu, by not bothering to send stuff back. I've got old mags, a distributor & a few other bits already, I'm sure there will be more & I'm sure they'll all come in handy one day. Very Happy

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

New Project Stuart Turner P6M + gearbox - Page 5 Empty Re: New Project Stuart Turner P6M + gearbox

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 13:39

That's what I keep telling myself, they'll come in handy for something. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 11:48

The plumbing parts for the exhaust turned up yesterday, so I had a go at that. It hasn't made it much quieter, think it really needs a silencer.

I can't get it to run right on this carb, the mixture seems to be too weak. I have lifted the needle to the bottom groove, but it still insists on spitting back through the carb at low revs. Trouble is I can't get her running or long enough here.

Also, there's no choke (air slide) on the carb yet, but the final piece in that particular jigsaw turned up this morning, so I will get on with assembling that today. I'm also going to add an air filter, see if that improves the mixture a bit. Otherwise I'm looking into getting hold of one of the original Solex carbs for these engines.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 22 2013, 15:10

Air slide & cable fitted, plus the air filter. Now she starts & runs like a dream! What a lovely little engine.

She definitely prefers a bit of load though. Even just putting it in gear helps a bit, but when I cleaned the flywheel as well she ran really nice.

Anyway, I cobbled together a little video for you all, space was a bit limited there so it might be a bit shaky....

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michael3 Thu May 23 2013, 13:40

Lovely engine!

Rather than attaching a silencer have you thought about putting the end of the exhaust into a bucket of water once the engine is running? Quietens it down no end and if you are running the cooling water through the exhaust (wet exhaust) you get to re use the water!

I reckon this is OK to do so long as you don't put the exhaust into the bucket until the engine is running and you remember to take it out before you stop it so reducing the chance of it going back up 100%. IE making sure that exhaust pressure keeps the water out. Make sure there is a fair amount of 'fall' from engine to bucket.

Of course, if you put together some sort of 'swan's neck' arrangement as in a boat you can leave it in...but you end up with a lot of pipe. And when you are running water through the exhaust it should be cool enough to use a bit of rubber flexi on the end.

I have this arrangement running on the Vire at the moment, haven't yet got to the point where the water in the bucket is too hot.

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 23 2013, 14:03

I think if I was going to keep it I would go or a full wet exhaust system, but although it is noisy, I don't think it's too noisy for the rally-field.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to sell this one, I need the money to get my car road legal again, & need to put something towards the other projects I've got.

One day I will have a Stuart Turner to keep for myself. I quite fancy one of the smaller ones, but still with a pumped water system & forward/reverse gearbox.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michael3 Thu May 23 2013, 16:12

I think the small Stuarts are called R3M R3Y etc etc, not sure what the last letters mean. 1.5 hp. I'm looking for one complete with box and original pan/tray but they seem to all be down in Cornwall.

Regarding the bucket idea. Half a bucket of water is starting to get quite hot after seven minutes...

michael3
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 23 2013, 17:13

michael3 wrote:I think the small Stuarts are called R3M R3Y etc etc, not sure what the last letters mean. 1.5 hp. I'm looking for one complete with box and original pan/tray but they seem to all be down in Cornwall.

Regarding the bucket idea. Half a bucket of water is starting to get quite hot after seven minutes...

Yeah, but don't forget there are other Stuart engines, like the P4 for instance.

The bucket is good for getting the engine warmed up quickly, to set the carb up, but it does get hot pretty quick. I wanted to put something like an old fire extinguisher there as a tank, but I'm not sure even that would have enough capacity & it would definitely need painting matt black to dissipate the heat.

Of course, what it really needs is going back in a boat with either keel cooling or raw water.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue May 28 2013, 22:33

This engine sold over the weekend, after being listed for just 2 days.

Looks like it will be going back into a boat, which is where it belongs really. I don't think it's knackered enough to be a stationary engine exhibit just yet Laughing

I'm starting to think the same about my Kohler, I've never had such a reliable engine! I didn't even have to clean the plugs, & my brother's little boy even managed to start it!
(He was quite surprised that it fired up by just being pushed over compression, you should've seen him jump! :stick lol: quite safe though, being an impulse mag, no chance of a backfire).

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 29 2013, 12:55

Good to hear you've sold Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad the Stuart and you can get sorted now and see what engine pops up next.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed May 29 2013, 14:31

If there's anything left after my car's back on the road, I would (funnily enough) like to get another Stuart.

Anyway, now I can crack on with the Lister & the Bamfords.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed May 29 2013, 17:47

nutgone wrote:If there's anything left after my car's back on the road, I would (funnily enough) like to get another Stuart.

Anyway, now I can crack on with the Lister & the Bamfords.

matt
as always one out and another on the way in again "spanners never get cold" in your shed then
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5