www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate

2 posters

Go down

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate Empty Ruston Hornsby I.D plate

Post by diygonmad2 Sun Nov 25 2012, 15:38

Hi all,

Do Ruston Hornsby engines, like the one pictured, have a I.D plate of any sort. I can only find a very small one, on what I think is a fuel pump, which reads Ruston and Hornsby List No. FPD 22001. Installed in about 1940 or so it,s a mystery.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
diygonmad2
diygonmad2
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate Empty Re: Ruston Hornsby I.D plate

Post by Guest Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:11

Is it the camera angle or is this a very big engine?

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate Empty BIG

Post by diygonmad2 Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:43

Hi,

Yes this is a VERY big engine, stands about 10ft high. Its linked up to an English electric genenrator. Haven,t got many pics as this
is in a secure underground location not accessible to the public. Hopefully I,ll be going back again early next year.
diygonmad2
diygonmad2

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:47

I would contact Ray Hooley (if you haven't already done so) as he will know where to find any numbers etc, I think that his contact details are under the Ruston section in the IDENTIFICATION part of the forum.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by diygonmad2 Mon Nov 26 2012, 13:11

Ok, thanks for that. Much appreciated.
diygonmad2
diygonmad2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 11:31

It's a cracking engine have you plans to buy it or leave it and restore it where it is or is it something for Anston to get as it will cost a few £££'s just to remove it from where it's at and they can maybe start a save the Ruston appeal to raise the money to move it.
I know your saying it's at a secret location so don't say anything that may give away where it's at.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate Empty Ruston Hornsby I.D plate

Post by diygonmad2 Tue Nov 27 2012, 15:42

Hi again,

There are actually two of these engines driving two gennys, Unfortunately they will probably never see the light of day or ever be restored. The site is MOD property and restoration on site would not be an option, unless the site is sold off to a private invester, which apparently is in the pipelines. I,m hoping to go
back there next year before our work contract runs out, so I,m going to make some equiries. I do know for a fact there is a Ruston diesel driven "loco" down
there (one of two) which is due to be removed for restoration, which is a good thing, so, you never know. Can send you a couple of pictures of that if you,re
interested.

Tony.
diygonmad2
diygonmad2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 28 2012, 11:02

Tony try to keep pressure on them even if it's sold off so the new owner doesn't just move in a scrap them. Like I said earlier there maybe to much for one person to take on but would sure like them saved by a group.
Yes I'd like to see some pics as there's not to many of the old Ruston locos about now and maybe the people whos saving the loco can point you in the right direction of who to talk to about saving the engine/gennys.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Ruston Hornsby I.D plate Empty ruston hornsby

Post by diygonmad2 Wed Nov 28 2012, 13:07

Hi again,

Will keep an eye on things, it,ll be a long time before anything happens, but in the meantime the engines are safe at least, they won,t be going anywhere, and no-one can get at them to nick bits.
the Loco is going to Leighton Buzzard, to the narrow gauge railway I believe. I,ll try and find out how they manage to wangle a deal.
Will post some pics later on tonight for all to see.

Tony.
diygonmad2
diygonmad2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum