www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

+4
villiersblp
braydh
hob
kevjhnsn
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty new infomation

Post by villiersblp Sun Nov 11 2012, 11:37

Hi again

I have had a look at beltingonline and they looks good products and prices.
The 25cc engines are interesting as I do like micro things.

Just for interest I got the villiers engines as very many years ago I used to race Karts with villiers 9e engines and thought I know some thing about them.
But we always removed most of the mag. and replaced them with a M/C coil and a battery. The head was filled in with aluminium to put the power up and faster. Then we had to do most of the mods required and make them the best we could. Now it is all money, hundreds of £££ for each race.

That was a long time ago so I will consentrate on the migets for now. by for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty Re: Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 12:19

Brian there's always plenty of pulleys on ebay for sale once you know what size you need just have a bid there alot cheaper then buying new and look more in keeping with the engines age. The shaft size will be something like 5/8 maybe smaller that's not the difficult bit it's matching it to get the correct diameter to drive the pump at the correct speed, I think there's a conversion list on the forum somewhere to help figure out what size you need.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty Re: Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section)

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:04

stationary stu wrote:Brian there's always plenty of pulleys on ebay for sale once you know what size you need just have a bid there alot cheaper then buying new and look more in keeping with the engines age.

Stu.
Sorry Stu I have to disagree, I've been looking for pulleys on ebay and found nothing suitable, also it seems some of the sellers want stupid money for what they've got.
Maybe I picked a bad time to look or I'm not searching using the right words but to me ebay is useless for pulleys Crying or Very sad
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:22

There are some other suppliers of new pulleys on the net, plenty in fact. & some are cheaper than Beltingonline, but not by much. I prefer to pay the extra few pennies (& that's usually all it is) to support a nice, friendly, helpful company.

But an old antique pulley will always look better, there are still ways to make a new one appear old.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 13:12

Ian at first I did have problems finding a pulley for a Villiers engine and ended up fileing out a center bore to get it the correct size but since then I've never had any problems. I have to say I'm never desperate to find pulleys now but I just keep watching and if one comes alone I know I can use I'll put a small bid on it if it goes to high then theres always another.
I picked up these 3 pulleys off the same seller so got a good rate for postage, I paid £17 for the 3 and the big alloy one is 6 inches by 3 inches wide the center is 1 5/8 while the 2 smaller ones are 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 both 5/8 centers.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Pulley10

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Pulley11

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Pulley12

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12 2012, 13:29

I found this diagram and it might be helpfull to check if the barrel/piston are the correct way round.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Diagra10

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty number 2 engine

Post by villiersblp Mon Nov 12 2012, 14:06

It is my no. 2 engine that is closing the plug gap so I can have a look at no1. enginge to see how the piston is set.
But then again this engine has not yet run. Sad

Thanks for the diagram but I am still unsure about the piston setting from it.

I sent the mag. back plate from no.1 engine away to vintage mag. over a week ago on a Saterday morning but they have not been in contact yet.
I will have to ring them tonight, as I understand they prefer you to telephone after 7pm.

I am still some way from needing the pulley wheels so I have time to look around and find what I need.
Maybe a pulley from a washing M/C may do.
This week I will spend some time working on the new pump making it work and look good.
Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Mon Nov 12 2012, 15:20

Stu certainly does seem to be the master of eBay bargain finding, what with his recent large die set for just 99p & the big dynamo for just 99p, to name just a few.

Maybe if you want a pulley you're best to ask Stu? Wink

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Nov 12 2012, 15:44

nutgone wrote:Stu certainly does seem to be the master of eBay bargain finding, what with his recent large die set for just 99p & the big dynamo for just 99p, to name just a few.

Maybe if you want a pulley you're best to ask Stu? Wink

He is a jammy bugger Mad Laughing
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 13 2012, 13:38

Just can't miss a bargin, I need to go pick up a pump and 2 wheel trolley that I've just won for the total cost of £3.08 and it's only 3 miles away. Very Happy and a 4x3 feet steel box which I'm going to use for sand blasting that did cost a lot at a tenner. Thing is when I buy an engine it's always in the back of my mind if it's a scrapper can I gat my money back for the spares and I'll only place a bid with that in mind.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty update poor spark

Post by villiersblp Sat Nov 17 2012, 13:24

Hi all its Brian again

Had a call from Vintage Magneto about my villiers back plate. Unfortunatley the new!!! ebay coil has a intermittent fault. Sad

So I asked them to sort it out with one of their coils and send it back. I will then have to return the other coil for a refund. cheers

The pump I have is brass and now its all cleaned and polished it looks like a lump of gold. cheers The drive shaft is .600" or 15.25mm dia. this is an odd size for fitting a pulley.

My No2 engine has been running again but now the mower is no more, all stripped down and the engine ready for cleaning and painting. I will have to build a new frame for it.

Looking forward to getting the magneto back and putting it all back in to its stand and running with the pump.
by for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Sat Nov 17 2012, 16:30

villiersblp wrote:Hi all its Brian again

Had a call from Vintage Magneto about my villiers back plate. Unfortunatley the new!!! ebay coil has a intermittent fault. Sad

So I asked them to sort it out with one of their coils and send it back. I will then have to return the other coil for a refund. cheers

The pump I have is brass and now its all cleaned and polished it looks like a lump of gold. cheers The drive shaft is .600" or 15.25mm dia. this is an odd size for fitting a pulley.

My No2 engine has been running again but now the mower is no more, all stripped down and the engine ready for cleaning and painting. I will have to build a new frame for it.

Looking forward to getting the magneto back and putting it all back in to its stand and running with the pump.

by for now Brian

Martin at vintage magnetos is a decent chap and is good at what he does .... cant fault his work at all !

I have used him several times , thought manly had work from the south but from yorkshire .... is quite a distance .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:22

Brian not sure but do you mean about 5/8 for the pulley size? As I won 2 x 5/8 pullies on ebay a few weeks back or could that size be made slightly larger to fit.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty pulley size

Post by villiersblp Sun Nov 18 2012, 11:51

Stu.
I checked the pump shaft with a micrometer at .600" or 15.25mm. (odd size)

I will need one pulley to fit the tapered drive shaft on the engine and one to fit the pump shaft.

Not sure the dia. of each pulley needed to get a good flow.
Would like to run the pump with a drill or something to see how much water it will move. But I do not have a chuck on a drill that will fit the pump shaft.

The no1 engine Vintage mag. rang yesterday to say my mag. back plate is now working developing a 3/8" spark so I have paid up with a smile. No
By for now,,,, Brian

villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty just a test to photo

Post by villiersblp Sun Nov 18 2012, 13:16

Hi just a test to see if I can send a photo to the forum.

My no. 1 engine not working but looks good. Hope it will do when I get the mag. back plate from Vintage magnetoe.

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 00510

Hope this works Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sun Nov 18 2012, 18:11

Looking good there Brian cheers

I especially like the matching red HT lead, nice touch. Wink

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18 2012, 18:52

Very nice looking engine Brian, once the mags sorted it will be first class.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty villiers update

Post by villiersblp Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:43

Hi all
Not got my mag. back plate back yet so I have been working on the no2 engine
This has not been easy as I have had a bout of man cold
This is the engine that needs 2 washers on the spark plug.

Looking at the piston no marks could be seen so no damage. The piston is the right way round so no problem.
May- be the plug should be only 1/2" (15mm) not the 18mm the new plugs seem to be.

Will start building a frame for it next week but not sure what colour to paint it, green seems the most used
but I'm not sure.

I've used 1/2 box of tissues sitting here on this forum so it's time to go by for now Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:57

villiersblp wrote:Hi all
I've used 1/2 box of tissues sitting here on this forum so it's time to go by for now Brian

Brian we don't need to hear about what you do in private Embarassed lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Glad to hear you've decided to try the shorter reach plug It sounds as if it's the only answer.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty update

Post by villiersblp Wed Nov 28 2012, 14:29

Hi again

Got my villiers back plate back with a new coil fitted.
I have sent the ebay coil off to the suppliers to get a refund as I do not want a replacement one.
Hope this works.

Not done enything with it as I have been working on the other engine, building a frame etc.
But last night it dawned on me, as I had built it now I would not be able to fit a belt to the driving shaft pully due to
have some bars in the way. SO back to the drawing board tomorow. cut it down and re weld.

I have picked out the colour for the number 2 engine and will show you a pic. when completed

See you all later

ps.. can now look at forum on my phone but not post yet.
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Nov 28 2012, 15:23

Don't go too mad with the cutting, if it's a V belt you can get sectional belts in all the main sections (belt types), even the little Z section belts are available in sectional form. I reckon they look nicer on an old outfit as well.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29 2012, 10:49

Good luck fitting your back plate and looking forward to seeing a video of it up and running.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Villiers poor spark (post moved to suitable section) - Page 2 Empty update

Post by villiersblp Sat Dec 01 2012, 18:51

Hi All

Been working in the garage to day (not my normal day ) to get the frame for my no. 2 engine

together and painted. This set up has a kick start so the engine etc. mount on bars across the frame with tubes holding each part in its place.

All sorted now and given 2/3 coats of primer. Next week I will be able to top coat it the put it away to harden off.

The coil I sent back .... I have been repaid all I paid for it and the pp costs so all OK. Very Happy

SO I can get back to no1 engine and refit the mag. back plate. set the timming and mount it back in its frame.

Then WILL it spark and start. Let you know in the next episode of this thrilling adventure. bounce Brian
villiersblp
villiersblp
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Sat Dec 01 2012, 22:28

I like that red, that's the sort of colour I want for my Stuart Turner.
Got any info on it Brian?

By the way, you've done a smashing job on that engine Smile
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 02 2012, 12:54

Looking forward to seeing pics of both engines all complete on there new frames.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next