www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

my lister d

+2
hob
steve w
6 posters

Go down

my lister d Empty my lister d

Post by steve w Tue Sep 25 2012, 18:40

Following the good advice from forum members in another thread i got a new condenser a length of ht cable and just to make sure a new spark plug, they arrived this morning, i fitted to condender, i had to bolt the cable to the one in the mag as the one that arrived was a different type to the original, - i turned her over and i got a good shock off the spark plug so i knew i was in business,

i squrted a bit of petrol in the spark plug hole using an oly syringe put the spark plug in turned her over within seconds a good flame shot out the exhaust followed by a snail Very Happy she spluttered and popped but after a short while calmed down and run nice, she doesnt have an exhaust just a short bit of pipe so gives a good pop,

This is the first time i have seen her running since i bought her when i was 18 - 22 yrs ago, now i am not sure what to do - run her like she is or strip her down?

what a great day

the number on her is - 126366.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

my lister d Empty Re: my lister d

Post by hob Tue Sep 25 2012, 20:33

steve w wrote: i got a good shock off the spark plug so i knew i was in business,

can't beat that tingle Laughing

steve w wrote: within seconds a good flame shot out the exhaust followed by a snail

dinner Wink

argosy pump
Villiers mk 15
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:10

Great news Steve, cheers cheers cheers maybe you should try and sort it so that you can run it for half an hour see how it goes then decide if your going to overhaul it of just leave it a run the way she is.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:53

I agree with Stu, although I would like to see if it'll run most of the day myself.

Is there any Crank-Ups near you in the not to distant future? Something like that, or a one day rally (bit late, but there are still a few on the cards) should tell you if she's up to it.

Still, it might be nice to do a full strip down & rebuild, but it does take time, space & money. The money bit surprised me with the Tarpen, but it soon starts to add up.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. Have you got any pics?

(& you know you're really supposed to "purge" snails for about 5 days before cooking them Wink . British garden snails are perfectly edible though).

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:31

Its always tempting to get the spanners out but if she is running nice after reaching full temperature and runs nice for half an hour then the next step is a rally (or a crank up as has been suggested).
If she sounds a bit rough or develops problems then you'll need to get the spanners out. I usually preach, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I don't always practise it Embarassed

Have a GOOD listen to your engine while she is running, you'd be surprised what they tell you with all their different noises Wink
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:46

i just had to start her up again as soon as i could this morning Very Happy i ran her for about 15 mins and all seems ok - as soon as i get an exhaust on i will give her a good run, - here she is - not the prettyist Smile

my lister d Lister10
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:51

Lovely! I'm very tempted to say "Don't paint it!" Sometimes an "original" engine just has so much character to it, but it's your engine. I think it looks good, very solid & oily in all the right places.

Glad to know it wasn't just a one-off & seems to be reliable. cheers

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:55

nutgone wrote:Lovely! I'm very tempted to say "Don't paint it!" Sometimes an "original" engine just has so much character to it, but it's your engine. I think it looks good, very solid & oily in all the right places.

Glad to know it wasn't just a one-off & seems to be reliable. cheers

i was only saying to my dad today i might leave it as it is juat a clean down and a good wipe with an oily cloth, i like to see them natural. i would like to put it on a trolly as its a bugger to shift around.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Wed Sep 26 2012, 21:37

Hi Steve, that engine is pretty, if its running ok then id leave it as is, looks good,
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Sep 26 2012, 22:19

steve w wrote: here she is - not the prettyist Smile

my lister d Lister10

Who cares how pretty she is, she's yours and she now runs Smile

sorry missed this post yesterday, great news Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:36

Steve it looks a good engine and all original, maybe try and pick up a secondhand exhaust rather then new to keep it looking correct. A wipe down with an oily rag is all she needs to get her into show condition.
You do need a trolley can I say that a Lister D trolley would set her of best, there easy to make or you could buy the handles seperate.
I bought a set of handles and the wood frame of this seller a few months back (he's local) and they are very well made although they were cheaper when I bought mine. I might have the plans for an original Lister D trolley if I can find them if not Rab (Paul) should have them and I'm sure he wouldn't mind emailing them to you. That's if you want to go with that kind of trolley rather then a 4 wheel trolley the choice is yours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-D-BARROW-TROLLEY-TYPE-HANDLES-/320983587893?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item4abc1cdc35

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:41

Thanks for the replies, i think as you say i will try to put the original trolly on with the 2 handles, i have seen them on ebay but location always seems to be as far away as you can get although i have got deliveries in scotland cornwall and the borders so may try to link in with one.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:04

Steve if it's of any help I could collect the handles for you and hold them till your in the area. Maybe sort a better price also Wink
There not difficult to make have you not got anyone local that could make a set for you, I can supply the measurements.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:48

hi stu, thats a great offer and thanks, but i really should make my own as i do stainless fabrication and like woodworking, if you have the measurements it would be much appreciated. i think the hardest part is getting the wheels so might have to do a bit on ebay.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28 2012, 12:22

Steve can you PM me your email address please so I can send the info.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down