www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

small project.

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

small project. - Page 2 Empty Re: small project.

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 13:02

wow thanks guys for all the replys and the information, its much appreciated - the old guy said it used to have a cover over the the one side,

today i cleaned the spark plug and gave the fella a pull - the spark is great - i put a touch of petrol down the hole and it gave a small pop but it isnt drawing the petrol through to the carb?

this machine is so well built the more you look at it the more you see the detail - the airfilter has burgess england spamped on it and you rotate it to change the air flow,

i have taken a look at the carb needle and its as sharp as a pin,

- i was wondering should i be running it on neat petrol or adding anything?

thanking you,

steve.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 13:17

Neat petrol should be fine, I would think.

Just make sure there's oil in the sump (I take it there is a sump? It's not some weird 2-stroke-4-stroke thing?)

It'll probably take a few pulls to get it to pull fuel up into the carb, there may even be some kind of priming device, like on my Homelite.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Sep 26 2012, 13:39

steve w wrote:wow thanks guys for all the replys and the information, its much appreciated - the old guy said it used to have a cover over the the one side,

today i cleaned the spark plug and gave the fella a pull - the spark is great - i put a touch of petrol down the hole and it gave a small pop but it isnt drawing the petrol through to the carb?

this machine is so well built the more you look at it the more you see the detail - the airfilter has burgess england spamped on it and you rotate it to change the air flow,

i have taken a look at the carb needle and its as sharp as a pin,

- i was wondering should i be running it on neat petrol or adding anything?

thanking you,

steve.
if the air filter rotates to a closed ish position its to act as a choke Wink close it and you restrict the flow of air so the suction of the induction stroke pulls more fuel through to aid starting.

and yes nuts, that enfield Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:31

i found a section on the side of the engine removes - i removed it and it gives access to the valves which one was stuck, - a bit of fiddling and i freed it. the petrolnow does go up the tube (eventually) - i never got it running but it does turn over and fire, -

i must be going for the world record in - how many times can a man try to start an engine in one day, - i must of tried every combination of fuel mxture i can and must of put a gallon down the plug hole,

small project. - Page 2 Stuck_10
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:49

steve w wrote:i found a section on the side of the engine removes - i removed it and it gives access to the valves which one was stuck, - a bit of fiddling and i freed it. the petrolnow does go up the tube (eventually) - i never got it running but it does turn over and fire, -

i must be going for the world record in - how many times can a man try to start an engine in one day, - i must of tried every combination of fuel mxture i can and must of put a gallon down the plug hole,

small project. - Page 2 Stuck_10
what do you mean by combination of fuel mixture? your not adding 2t oil to the petrol are you???
check the mixture screw on the carb, turn it clockwise gently until it just stops then turn it anti clock 1 1/2 times (count your turns in halves in this case half, one, half if you were doing more you would continue with two, half, three, half etc).
close the air filter and pull over, if it starts to fire, half open the air filter and try again, if it runs up open the air filter fully as it starts to bog down.

Last edited by blackvanman on Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:57; edited 1 time in total

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:54

thanks for the advice blackvan i was unsure how far the needle had to be out on the carb, sorry when i said mixture i meant with the air and fuel, i might go out later and hav a few more pulls,

another question sorry - when it is running if i touch the finned item on the top or the charging connectors on the side - will i get a shock?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:59

steve w wrote:thanks for the advice blackvan i was unsure how far the needle had to be out on the carb, sorry when i said mixture i meant with the air and fuel, i might go out later and hav a few more pulls,

another question sorry - when it is running if i touch the finned item on the top or the charging connectors on the side - will i get a shock?

lol probably not, look back at post re mixture adjustment Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:19

You'll get there in the end, they all have different little ways when starting.

It took me a while to get the knack back with the Tarpen after so many years not using it. The trick with that has always been full choke, give it a good pull (make sure you've wound it backwards as far from compression as it will go (IE: backwards to compression) before you put the rope on, that way when you pull the rope you've got a full stroke, or 2 in the case of a 4 stroke, to work up momentum before compression kicks in) then I have to jump on the choke quickly as it fires, or it will stall. It usually then catches on & keeps running. When it's cold it has to be done like this, having the choke partially open will take ages for it to fire.

But that's just my Tarpen, this may be different, but knowing other's little tricks may give you some ideas.

I agree with Blackvanman, usually 1 & a half turns is a good place to start with most mixture screws. Some are only a half turn (generally more modern stuff) some will be more, but most stuff will fire on 1&1/2 turns open. Just don't close it too tightly as you'll wear a ridge on the needle.

Best of luck, I know what it's like. Just be grateful it's a rope start & not a handle. Wink

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:18

nutgone wrote:You'll get there in the end, they all have different little ways when starting.

It took me a while to get the knack back with the Tarpen after so many years not using it. The trick with that has always been full choke, give it a good pull (make sure you've wound it backwards as far from compression as it will go (IE: backwards to compression) before you put the rope on, that way when you pull the rope you've got a full stroke, or 2 in the case of a 4 stroke, to work up momentum before compression kicks in) then I have to jump on the choke quickly as it fires, or it will stall. It usually then catches on & keeps running. When it's cold it has to be done like this, having the choke partially open will take ages for it to fire.

But that's just my Tarpen, this may be different, but knowing other's little tricks may give you some ideas.

I agree with Blackvanman, usually 1 & a half turns is a good place to start with most mixture screws. Some are only a half turn (generally more modern stuff) some will be more, but most stuff will fire on 1&1/2 turns open. Just don't close it too tightly as you'll wear a ridge on the needle.

Best of luck, I know what it's like. Just be grateful it's a rope start & not a handle. Wink

1 1/2 turns in this case came up in my research Very Happy
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:22

1.5 turns in the morning unless i cant resist a few more trys tonight, Very Happy
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:49

thanks to your guys the little fella is up and running, i set the carb to 1.5 turns and the filter to choke it puffed a few times so tried cold start - thenm hot starn with no joy, tried it in run on the filter and set the carb at 1.25 turns and away he goes, it ran supurb for 1.5 hrs without a miss, i could easily regulate the speed with the carb - i tried a van bulb on a bit of wire on the charging terminals and it shone bright,

i have recorded it so might try to get a youtube clip on later.

The big question now i will need some advice on is what can i run on it? how many bulbs?

Thanks
steve.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:02

steve w wrote:thanks to your guys the little fella is up and running, i set the carb to 1.5 turns and the filter to choke it puffed a few times so tried cold start - thenm hot starn with no joy, tried it in run on the filter and set the carb at 1.25 turns and away he goes, it ran supurb for 1.5 hrs without a miss, i could easily regulate the speed with the carb - i tried a van bulb on a bit of wire on the charging terminals and it shone bright,

i have recorded it so might try to get a youtube clip on later.

The big question now i will need some advice on is what can i run on it? how many bulbs?

Thanks
steve.

do you have a multi meter? I'd want to check the output voltage myself, but other than that for now, it is rated at 80w so 4x 15w bulbs would give a load of 60w to keep it under 80w or 15 5w bulbs would give the same load Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:17

Great news Steve you must be well pleased with yourself, both engines up and running cheers cheers cheers

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:45

Great stuff! It's inspired me to get on with my military generator. I spent my time in the workshop last night perfecting my soldering skills on a rather leaky Homelite petrol tank.

Great news, I will be watching that video with interest. (if/when you upload it. I know what these things are like, I always have to do it twice with YouTube Rolling Eyes ) cheers

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:52

i am really pleased - problem is i now know why stu has 30 engines i am wanting another already - i am watching one online so maybe next week when it ends i will have one,

i need a bigger shed lol Very Happy
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu Sep 27 2012, 13:07

steve w wrote:

Oh god, not another one! Rolling Eyes

It's OK really, there are much worse things you could spend your time & money on. It's a pretty healthy obsession. It's educational & informative as well. (not sure if you're married or with "significant other" but I'm just loading you up with excuses for "when the time comes" Wink )

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 14:22

lol!
nutgone wrote:
steve w wrote:

It's OK really, there are much worse things you could spend your time & money on. It's a pretty healthy obsession. It's educational & informative as well. (not sure if you're married or with "significant other" but I'm just loading you up with excuses for "when the time comes" Wink )

lol! Very Happy i need all of them i can at the moment as i am off to spain for a week leaving the family behind.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Sep 27 2012, 14:59

steve w wrote: lol!
nutgone wrote:
steve w wrote:

lol! Very Happy i need all of them i can at the moment as i am off to spain for a week leaving the family behind.

would be harder to explain amsterdam Very Happy
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 15:44

would be harder to explain amsterdam Very Happy

i go to spain a few time a yr with my mates Smile but thats another story, Very Happy
should have a clip of the engine on later - youtube seems to be taking ages to load today.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Thu Sep 27 2012, 15:46

steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Thu Sep 27 2012, 17:50

steve w wrote:VID

not long before your fingers got hot then lol!

she sounds pretty sweet Smile
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 28 2012, 12:15

She runs very well and you can make a small display without much of a problem.
I have to say when the engine bug bites it's difficult to keep to one or 2 engines maybe I've gone over the top but I can't resist a bargin and I'm looking forward to the future for something to keep me busy. My problem is space as I need to clear my shed to work in but I still find things tight and would love a garage so I'm not restricted, I think that's why I do a lot of my work outside and the weather plays a big factor in what I can do but once I rig up a tarp to keep me dry I'm happy. I then just use the shed for painting and hanging parts to dry. I do have 2 sheds and a lock up garage but that's a mile from home so I can't work in it. Crying or Very sad I've just been inquiring about renting a house out in the sticks with a load of land and 2 garages but looks like I've missed it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sat Nov 03 2012, 18:42

This looks like the same unit on ebay - Click Here

they say its a - Enfield Cycle Co. Accumlator charging engine 1945. -

interesting to see one with the cage on.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Sat Nov 03 2012, 18:56

steve w wrote:This looks like the same unit on ebay - Click Here

they say its a - Enfield Cycle Co. Accumlator charging engine 1945. -

interesting to see one with the cage on.

Interesting, just a shame the bloke's dreaming at that price. If it had been somewhere near realistic I would've looked into a courier & had a bid. Crying or Very sad

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Sat Nov 03 2012, 18:59

i have noticed this with the engines on ebay some think they cant start high and get plenty.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next