www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Latest engines to join the collection!!

5 posters

Go down

Latest engines to join the collection!! Empty Latest engines to join the collection!!

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15 2012, 12:02

Well I've been on a buying spree in the last few days and I've taken a liking to Stuart Turner engines so decide I'd get one ermmm or two Laughing Laughing Laughing
I collected this one yesterday not sure what it needs to get running but it's another one on the list of to do. I also managed to pick up 2 old fire extinguishers so cooling tanks sorted.

Latest engines to join the collection!! Stuart11

This one needs collecting and don't think it needs a lot to get running even comes with a tin of paint.

Latest engines to join the collection!! Stuart12

The third is just something I liked it's an OHV BSA so looking forward to working on that one.

Latest engines to join the collection!! Bsa_oh10

Well that's it no more engine buying (heard that before Laughing Laughing Laughing ) well unless another bargin comes along as these 3 and the Bradford have all been engines for sale at cracking prices, well maybe the BSA was a little more then I wanted to pay but I've also got a set of 12inch cast iron wheels with an axle for £6.50 so that's sweetened the sale.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Latest engines to join the collection!! Empty Re: Latest engines to join the collection!!

Post by steve w Sat Sep 15 2012, 21:20

they look smart - how many have you got stu?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Latest engines to join the collection!! Empty i got one aswell

Post by earlsinclare Sat Sep 15 2012, 21:28

mine came from the same bloke.
Latest engines to join the collection!! 00512
richard.
earlsinclare
earlsinclare
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Latest engines to join the collection!! Empty Re: Latest engines to join the collection!!

Post by Ianhw77k Mon Sep 17 2012, 11:30

Stu, the middle one looks very much like my P5XC, higher revving with a lighter flywheel and a bugger to start!
Good luck with it Very Happy
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17 2012, 12:39

steve w wrote:they look smart - how many have you got stu?

Thanks Steve, how many engines have I got, good question, I think 30+ lol! lol! lol! I do need to do a stock take.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17 2012, 12:41

Oh right Richard he did mention he'd just sold another Stuart. Looks like you got the best one Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the info Ian, something to look forward to now! ... NOT lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Latest engines to join the collection!! Empty stuart engine

Post by earlsinclare Mon Sep 17 2012, 17:23

i was watching that one as well, got the times wrong and missed it. at least it went to a good home. mine is a runner, although it was sold as a non runner.
richard.
earlsinclare
earlsinclare
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve w Mon Sep 17 2012, 17:30

stationary stu wrote:
steve w wrote:they look smart - how many have you got stu?

Thanks Steve, how many engines have I got, good question, I think 30+ lol! lol! lol! I do need to do a stock take.

Stu.

wow, bet the neighbours love you when you fire a few up at the same time (-:
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 09:54

Well I'm neighbourless at present, oh now I know why they moved Laughing Laughing Laughing Well there's a few kids around here and they make more noise then me. It's a long time since I had a crank up mainly because I don't keep them all where I live and by the time I moved them about I'd be too knackered to turn the handle to start them. Laughing Laughing Laughing Out of all them engines I'd be lucky if a third were runners there all on going jobs for the future and I won't be buying anymore soon unless there a give away price. Very Happy

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18 2012, 09:55

earlsinclare wrote:i was watching that one as well, got the times wrong and missed it. at least it went to a good home. mine is a runner, although it was sold as a non runner.
richard.

I only paid £40 for it so happy with it, the compression is low apart from that not had time to look at it.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Sep 18 2012, 17:31

stu a man of your experience will have that sorted in no time the thing is where is it on the list .... Laughing Laughing

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19 2012, 10:47

matt86 wrote:stu a man of your experience will have that sorted in no time the thing is where is it on the list .... Laughing Laughing

matt

Now that's a good question Matt, think I need to re-do the list and finish off the engines that's in bits before I start another. As for my experience ermm I don't think it's me your thinking of. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25 2012, 12:16

I collected my Stuart Turner P5XC at the weekend but not had time to have a good look at it yet. The seller said it had been in his family for a lot of years where it was used to drive a saw bench and before that it was used to power a water pump on a truck. As far as he knew it had never been used for anything nautical. There's no spark at the mag so that needs looking into, it did come with a new belt, new starting handle, parts and instruction book and a tin of green Stuart paint. He also gave me an invoice (from a Stuart dealer in Essex) for the parts and on the bottom of the invoice it has wrote 2 stroke 50:1 mix. So maybe with a bit of a mag clean I might just get it to work but knowing my luck it will need the mag overhauled. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Sep 25 2012, 15:33

stationary stu wrote:As far as he knew it had never been used for anything nautical. There's no spark at the mag so that needs looking into,
They were built and sold as an industrial engine Stu, apparently they can't be used as a marine engine because of something to do with the ceankshaft detail, although I'm not so sure myself, can't isn't a word I use too often Smile . If it is the XC then there should be a centrifugal clutch on it.
Good luck with the magneto, I've had all this to deal with myself Mad
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Sep 25 2012, 18:29

It is tempting to "get started" on a new project as soon as it comes through the door isn't it? But you're quite right in saying the ones in bits should be tackled first.

I had similar trouble, only on a tenth of the scale (I think we're talking 3 engines here, as opposed to your 30 engines there Shocked ) when the JAP came in I wanted to strip it straight away but had a little German Auto Union engine in bits at the same time. They are both of similar size so I decided to "crate up" the bits of German engine in sealed containers (an old quality street tin I think) before I took the JAP to bits.

I think with 30 or so engines I would need a better system than some old quality street tins Laughing

BTW, i thought all the P5XC engines were sold as fuel bowser pump engines to the air force??? Is this not the case? Whatever, I look forward to your progress Stu.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 10:18

Thanks for the info Nuts it could well have been a fuel bowser but when the last owners father purchased it, maybe it had already had another owner that had used it as a water pump as there's no pump with it now so the pump could have been removed then the engine sold or sold with a knackered pump and the pump was then scrapped. Or was it truck mounted in the RAF and the he's thought it was a water pump where as it was a fuel pump, don't think we'll ever know it's true history as he past away a few years back.

I know I have a lot of engines but a lot are non runners or missing parts, so this is the time I look for parts and try not to spend a fortune on getting them, if I need a fuel tank for a Wolseley I don't have to get into an ebay bidding war if it goes to high I wait for another to come along. I've managed to pick up bargins that way so as not making it an expensive engine.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:33

I've studied some old pictures of these in the fuel lorries & I'm not sure they ran a direct drive pump. I've got a feeling it may have been a dynamo which drove an electric pump, but I could be wrong.

There is supposed to be one, all together, at Duxford (I think). The engine has it's centrifugal clutch, which then appears to be connected to a kind of "T" Drive system (one in, two out kind of gearbox thingy, although it could have just been a right-angled drive gearbox). There appears to be a small dynamo to power some lighting in the back there, but from the pictures available I couldn't make out much more than that.

Anyway, I'm off to see the Shuttleworth Collection (Shuttleworth Museum??? I dunno what it's actually called, some of you will know what I'm on about anyway) soon, I think it's the 7th of next month, so I'll have to keep my eyes open, see if there's any old fuel bowsers there. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I next go to Duxford. I haven't been for about 16-18 years so it's high time I went again. There's also a Homelite genny, almost identical to mine, installed in a B17G Called "Mary Alice" which I intend to get a peek at while I'm there.
Just need to arrange a trip to Duxford now.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ianhw77k Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:09

nutgone wrote:

BTW, i thought all the P5XC engines were sold as fuel bowser pump engines to the air force??? Is this not the case? Whatever, I look forward to your progress Stu.

I think that is a myth myself, a bit like the other "myth" told to us (and the whole of ebay) by the bloke who sold me my engine, not the one about the magneto having a good spark or about the engine only being stripped for "painting" (yeah right, won't be falling for that one again! Mad ) but the myth that these engines are rare and there are only two he knows of in the country!

Anyone could order a P5, P5X or P5XC from Stuart turner but Zwicky, the fuel bowser people, did order a lot of them.

I'm ready to be corrected if I'm wrong (just this once Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Wed Sep 26 2012, 19:55

Ianhw77k wrote: (yeah right, won't be falling for that one again! Mad )

lol! lol! lol!

Bet you do! It happens to the best of us, & I still say you had a good deal, not a bargain, but a good deal nonetheless, even with the cost of a replacement mag.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:57

A little bit more info, when I bought the engine there was a letter from Fairways Marine Engineers of Maldon, Essex (I do have full deatils) dated 1989 saying they could supply most parts for P5, the owners manual is £6.36 and a half litre of "Stuart Green" is £7.40 prices weren't cheap back then. I can find a web site for the company but I did find this and at the bottom it mentions the same company.

http://www.oldmarineengine.com/history/Stuart/stuart_marine_engines.htm

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down