www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

+13
Smitty
Abes
A Lister
blackvanman
ells engines
steve w
billypurves
nutgone
Ianhw77k
JONESEY
ian webb
DanBoy
matt86
17 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by matt86 Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Sets it off nice kev .

Did you get a professional in to do it ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 Empty Re: amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin under the spanners

Post by nutgone Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 pm

It does look nice.

Now you'll be scared to take it anywhere in case it gets scratched! affraid

I actually like it when they get a few scratches, you can relax then, but it will be a shame to see this one get scratched.
Make sure you wrap it in cotton wool Kev, take good care of it. 👍

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Spot on Kev. Cool Cool Cool cheers Very Happy 👍

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 pm

matt86 wrote:Sets it off nice kev .

Did you get a professional in to do it ?

matt
matt
yes was going to do it myself ,due to prices quoted, but one guy called me. and said been payed for travell and full day tomorrow 2 miles from me Very Happy
and would have time to do mine at a very good rate indead ,so it was done before dark just took him 4 1/2 hours , the wheat sheath was a doddle i did while talking to him at tea break he said "its poo sorry to say mate" i went in for dad dutys and took a brew out "finished mate what you think cheers cheers
i replyed" sorry to say it but i think its poo mate" Very Happy Very Happy
so have to book my work with him on a "as and when" system for it to be affordable to me
kev

nutgone wrote:It does look nice.

Now you'll be scared to take it anywhere in case it gets scratched! affraid

I actually like it when they get a few scratches, you can relax then, but it will be a shame to see this one get scratched.
Make sure you wrap it in cotton wool Kev, take good care of it. 👍

shes got scratches and rubbed off paint here and there " but its the way it goes with a working engine for display
touch up paint in a little jar is safe for the bigger marks
kev
stationary stu wrote:Spot on Kev. Cool Cool Cool cheers Very Happy 👍

Stu.

thanks mate im so happy with her now ,just need to paint the wheels really as they are letting the finish down now,as they are the only dull paint on her set up, but as and i do them is up to this unsettled weather were having here again Crying or Very sad
kev

Last edited by matt86 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Language Kevin , on public forum ..)

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Kev once the wheels are painted it would look good if you could put some coach lines on them also. You should be able to mask up and paint a few lines yourself. I've a set of wheels that have the lines on and it makes them look great and it would finish your engine a treat.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:07 am

stationary stu wrote:Kev once the wheels are painted it would look good if you could put some coach lines on them also. You should be able to mask up and paint a few lines yourself. I've a set of wheels that have the lines on and it makes them look great and it would finish your engine a treat.

Stu.

it was floating around my head for the to try and do list mate
then the peurn pump will have to have a face lift before showing together me thinking from the pics last week Rolling Eyes
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm sure you'll sort it Kev and turn out another top job.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 am

well ive sprayed the wheels black and also the exhurst too,touched up the nuts bolts and chips from the rebuild and setting up ect
sorted out the parrafin fuel system as blocked up Embarassed ptfe tape Embarassed

wife has bought "herself "a new modern HD camera Very Happy well i say she bought it i had to pay for it though Rolling Eyes
so what do you think of the pics now boys and galls Wink

amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 P1000311
and mr raymondo :angel1: fetched me some of his parrafin over to test it out 👍
and heres the results

kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers nice pics Kev. Very Happy

It's running very well Kev, should look nice on the rally field and get plenty of attention.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by braydh Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

That looks and sounds superb 👍

braydh
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Very Nice Kev. Very Happy Are you running it on straight paraffin? If so I would suggest running it on a mix of petrol and paraffin say 50/50. Unburnt paraffin can wreck an engine if its left to run long enough.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 pm

That looks and sounds great Kev, it's a credit to you. The trolley sets it off really well, and the finishing touches like the brass terminals and the sign on the door make it look very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing it in real life. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu May 02, 2013 2:43 am

Stamford24 wrote:Very Nice Kev. Very Happy Are you running it on straight paraffin? If so I would suggest running it on a mix of petrol and paraffin say 50/50. Unburnt paraffin can wreck an engine if its left to run long enough.

20% petrol added as its shop bought for this run ,thanks to "raymound hopwood " 👍
but for the rally i have some central heating oil coming my way for my ever growing collection of vapourising oil engines amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 2588890777
????? what petrol to heating oil do you boys hear is the best one for safty from washing and sooting up internals with the stuff as still new to me for the amanco ,well all as just used pumped parrafin from a garage last year ,but they havent refilled the tank yet Sad ,but think the heating oil will be the best way forward for me engines " comments are all welcomed , i would send a bill if its wrong Smile :lol!:not Very Happy
think the driving a E27N FORDSON MAJOR roadmans for all them years " the parrafin fumes are in my dna now " Very Happy Very Happy
but not found another engine that makes that E27N SWEET smell around the rallys what a great vapouring engine they are
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 am

A Lister wrote:That looks and sounds great Kev, it's a credit to you. The trolley sets it off really well, and the finishing touches like the brass terminals and the sign on the door make it look very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing it in real life. Smile

well we will be sunning our selves and having a beer soon ,so will dig her out for you to have a play jules
any night your free and the weather is playing the game just txt me phone and let you know if in or out mate
emailed you earlyer to say this week is a no no as away for a dirty weekend " with the wife and the other love " stationary (engines NOT affraid stu affraid ) Very Happy Very Happy so see how the two get on
boys with there toys in mass Very Happy Very Happy
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 am

kevjhnsn wrote:

20% petrol added as its shop bought for this run ,thanks to "raymound hopwood " 👍
but for the rally i have some central heating oil coming my way for my ever growing collection of vapourising oil engines amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 2588890777
????? what petrol to heating oil do you boys hear is the best one for safty from washing and sooting up internals with the stuff as still new to me for the amanco ,well all as just used pumped parrafin from a garage last year ,but they havent refilled the tank yet Sad ,but think the heating oil will be the best way forward for me engines " comments are all welcomed , i would send a bill if its wrong Smile :lol!:not Very Happy
think the driving a E27N FORDSON MAJOR roadmans for all them years " the parrafin fumes are in my dna now " Very Happy Very Happy
but not found another engine that makes that E27N SWEET smell around the rallys what a great vapouring engine they are
kev

I know what you mean Kev about that Sweet smell, I love it! amanco opencrank 2 1/4 hp petrol paraffin  under the spanners - Page 10 2588890777 . Think its the fact that its probably TVO not paraffin and an engine that's working to burn it at the right temperature.
As for your own mix, you will have to experiment. Ideally you want to loose as much of that smoke as possible, and really the engine wants to be working and firing every time or nearly if its off load. That 'hit n miss' style action will do it no favours with paraffin. Think bore wear around the bottom of the cylinder will be the main issue. If you like the way its running, then I'd stick with straight petrol.

Mark

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 am

I was just going to say that, why not just run it off straight petrol??? Makes sense to me. I wouldn't want paraffin (or anything like it) anywhere near the internals of any of my engines.

A friend of mine used to deliver heating oils & most of them these days are basically just kerosene or diesel, very few actually use proper old fashioned heating oil (I don't think he ever delivered any in all the time he worked for the company).

They are named in seconds, IE: 28 second heating oil, as this is the time it takes a certain amount of the stuff (I think it's a Gram) to burn off. I always thought paraffin & kerosene were the same thing, but they're not, there is a second or 2 between them.

Unfortunately I no longer speak to this friend, as his girlfriend doesn't like me (we were best mates for about 12 years, but that means little to people like that) so I can't ask him any questions about heating oils. Shame as he knew about them, did a course & everything.

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu May 02, 2013 11:26 am

This is a real can of worms Paraffin, Kerosene etc. Basically this is how I understand it.
In t'old days Petrol was Gasoline (American term) and Paraffin - Kerosene. Lamp Oil was an extra refined version of Paraffin designed not to smoke too much when used in Oil Lamps. Many engines were designed to run on Lamp Oil. Now at some point the fuel companies or Joe Public decided to call Lamp Oil, Paraffin! Now in modern times, heating oil has become more widely available in 28 second and 35 second varieties. 28 second is sometimes sold under the name Kerosene. Now what the properties are and how it relates to the OLD Paraffin or Kerosene I have absolutely no idea! :chin: So use it at your peril. TVO (Tractor Vapourising Oil) is a halfway house having an octane rating of around 55+ whereas Paraffin has a zero octane rating. One thing that I can tell you is that engines with a vapouriser for using lower grade fuels need to work and preferably hard Exclamation to burn it properly.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 am

28-sec is Kerosene. It's pretty much identical to what they burn in jet aircraft engines (all except a few additives, but you could run your heating on jet fuel & you could run a jet on 28-sec heating oil).

35-sec is diesel, pure & simple. They call it "Gas Oil" as it is coloured red & not for use in road vehicles. I believe my sister's rayburn runs on the stuff.

I'm not sure where paraffin comes in, but I think it is very close to Kerosene, literally about 1 or 2 seconds in it. It doesn't help that some companies call Kerosene "Industrial Paraffin".

All this probably came about with the advent of jet aircraft. But there used to be another domestic heating oil, but it's very rare these days.

TVO can still be got, but these days it's usually a mixture of different oils. Some people have their own "recipe", & it usually differs from tractor enthusiast to tractor enthusiast.

This is quite a good link for info about paraffin & TVO....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_vaporising_oil

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Just found out some more (the bit in red is what I added)....

In the United Kingdom, two grades of heating oil are defined. BS2869 Class C1 is the lightest grade used for lanterns, camping stoves, wick heaters, and mixed with gasoline in some vintage combustion engines.(This is Paraffin which you buy in shops) BS2869 Class C2 is a heavier distillate, which is used as domestic heating oil. Premium kerosene is usually sold in 5 or 20 liter containers from hardware, camping and garden stores and is often dyed purple (paraffin or lamp oil). Standard kerosene is usually dispensed in bulk by a tanker and is un-dyed (heating oil).

So, it seems paraffin is just a name we used for Kerosene & lamp oil (kerosene is lamp oil). This probably stems from the invention of kerosene back in the 1800's, as kerosene was patented in the US, so we probably made our own stuff & called it paraffin.
But also paraffin is the name for "White Oil", which is a bit like kerosene but with the smelly bits removed. This is used in pharmaceuticals & cosmetics & there are several different grades.

There's more on kero here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

So, by the looks of this, heating oil is not the best thing to use, as it's too heavy.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

nutgone wrote:
So, it seems paraffin is just a name we used for Kerosene & lamp oil (kerosene is lamp oil).

So, by the looks of this, heating oil is not the best thing to use, as it's too heavy.

Well sort of... its back to defining exactly what Kerosene, Paraffin and Lamp Oil are! Mad They are all of the same family but could give you very different results in an engine.

Yep 28 second neat would be a bad thing in my opinion. No

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Thu May 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Stamford24 wrote:
Yep 28 second neat would be a bad thing in my opinion. No

After reading through that info, I wouldn't even use heating oil if it was diluted.

BUT: Wikipedia is not necessarily gospel. There's plenty of erroneous information on there, so I could be wrong. I think if it were mine I would be tempted to just stick to petrol for show purposes.

nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 pm

...and straight petrol might not work either. Once its hot, with that vapouriser, you may find you have pre-ignition problems. If you can lay your hands on an old kitchen measuring jug, it would be good to experiment, trying different percent mixes until you reach the optimum of no smoke and no pre-ignition problems.

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Right that's a question answered that I've often wondered about. I once need some diesel to move an old bus so my friend said just to use his heating oil. So I just some heating oil in and it ran no problem. Well when people say they use heating oil it sort of had me wondering how they ran on diesel but now I understand.
I was once talking to someone about the great smell you got from a 2 stroke back in the 70's. He told me it was the 2 stroke oil had additives in them to try and make them smell better. The problem is I can't remember it's name now. You can still buy it but it's one of the most expensive 2 stroke oils on the shelf.
Never to old to learn.

As for TVO take a look on the Tractor forums as I'm not sure if you need a licence to mix it or something like that. (It was a long time since I read it. LOL.)

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm

That'll be Castrol R. Lovely smell! Not sure if its legal to use on the road?

Stamford24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Stamford24 wrote:That'll be Castrol R. Lovely smell! Not sure if its legal to use on the road?

I think you could be right, I knew it was Castrol but not sure of the next bit LOL. Lucky we don't take our engines on the road. Very Happy

I know someone that runs all his engines with a petrol/parraffin mix, not sure of the mix but guess I'd say 1/2 pint to the gallon which I think is a high mix.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next