www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides

+3
matt86
hob
bluewater1150
7 posters

Go down

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Empty Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides

Post by bluewater1150 Mon Jan 30 2012, 20:01

Hi All

I've got an old saw bench but require two bits of information. Firstly, one of the two flat belt pulley guides is missing, not too difficult to get made, but does anyone have a spare. It's a half circle steel/iron ring and hook shaped - the belt runs between the two of them. Similar to hook shapes ones on these two saw benches.

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Belt_g10
and
Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Belt_g11

The other question, mine has two pulleys. One loose and one drive - the loose one has a hub bolt, exactly the same as in the second photo - which when screwed in also makes this the drive pulley.

Is that correct? The loose pulley is the one closest to the table - the drive pulley is the further away.

I ask because I remember using one of these years ago - and was sure that the drive pulley was next to the table and the loose pulley furthest away. I'm wondering if the outer pulley on mine has seized onto the shaft - anyone got one of these - or similar to put my mind at rest?

Thanks Elliot

Last edited by bluewater1150 on Mon Jan 30 2012, 20:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed info)
bluewater1150
bluewater1150
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Empty Re: Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides

Post by hob Mon Jan 30 2012, 20:22

i think the guides are all there but should have a handle to move them from side to side so you start the engine off load then slide the belt to the other pulley to engage the saw blade (saves turning them both over when starting the engine)

so you start the engine with the belt on the loose pulley then slide it over with the belt guide.

but i may be wrong with that i never had a saw bench.
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Empty Re: Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides

Post by bluewater1150 Mon Jan 30 2012, 20:31

Hi, Maybe I should make it clearer. I have posted 2 x photos - these are just to show the normal arrangement - these are not my saw benches.
It was mainly to show the 2 x hook shaped belt pulley guides. Mine has one and I need another.

Elliot
bluewater1150
bluewater1150
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by hob Mon Jan 30 2012, 20:40

sorry, anyway i would have thought the local blacksmith\ farrier could shape you one of those if you know of one, if not local horse people will know of one.
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jan 30 2012, 22:00

or if you know someone with a oxy acetylene set he might be able to help .... im sure some has a set not far from you Wink

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Mon Jan 30 2012, 23:02

Elliot..the other thing you must remember is make sure you have a safety guard on the blade..
if you ever take it to a show with out one the health and safety will stop you running it...
oh yes also watch your fingers,as Ian wouldn't want blood splattered all over the engine he took so long to restore..lol.lol
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Mon Jan 30 2012, 23:50

If you are going to take it to rally's do what I used to do cut a plywood circle the same size as the blade, draw round the blades teeth and paint silver. Leave the wood as a circle when going round looks just like the blade.
You will not get hassle from any one
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Jan 31 2012, 00:06

Also check that you are insured as some insurances don't cover circular saws at rallies, JONESEYS idea is a very good one.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Tue Jan 31 2012, 21:25

Foden wrote:Also check that you are insured as some insurances don't cover circular saws at rallies, JONESEYS idea is a very good one.

Pete.

that's a good call pete..forgot about that... Smile Smile Smile
mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluewater1150 Thu Feb 16 2012, 21:09

hob wrote:sorry, anyway i would have thought the local blacksmith\ farrier could shape you one of those if you know of one, if not local horse people will know of one.

Thanks for the idea - I went to see the local blacksmith and got two new guide rings made up for £5.00

Saw Bench - flat belt pulley guides Saw_be16

Elliot

bluewater1150
bluewater1150
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Thu Feb 16 2012, 23:24

They look a propper job, you would not now they were not the propper ones well done
Jonesey
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian webb Thu Feb 16 2012, 23:35

Very nice Elliot and a nice price too, well done.
Ian

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Feb 17 2012, 13:13

that sounds like a good price Elliot and it looks the nuts..
mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17 2012, 13:37

Can't complain with prices like that good luck with the rest of the restoration.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Fri Feb 17 2012, 14:00

get Elliot to cut some wood for you mate...lol.lol..
mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down