www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

villiers midget 2 stroke

2 posters

Go down

villiers midget 2 stroke  Empty villiers midget 2 stroke

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Aug 30 2011, 22:27

hi there collected a trailer load of old engines
this is the first one ive got stuck into
its a villiers MIDGET 2stroke
complete with exhurst and carb and mountains for a mower by looks of it
inseized very easyly
i removed the blind head and cleaned up the bore
freed of the piston rings and cleaned up bottom end and oiled moving parts with pleany of thin oil
FLYWHEEL IS GIVING ME A GOOD FIGHT SO LEFT IT SOAKING WIT MORE WD OIL
will give it some heat treatment when ive finished tea and try it again its rather welll rusted and full of soil behind the alloy disc cover as 2 screws were missing of it
so its going to be DOUBLE TROUBLE IN THERE possable beond repair
will have to see what lighs beneth all the muck in the FINGERS CROSSED
THANKS KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers midget 2 stroke  Empty flywheel is now removed SPARK ISUES HEEEELLLLLPP PLEASE

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Aug 31 2011, 04:22

ive now got the flywheel off
main bearings are brass bushes ????? is this correct on these 2strokes ????????//
removed about a mug full of crud from out of the flywheel mag componants
had mains drill and wire brushes around the magnets and polls
removed all the points and condenser cleaned up well considering and that goes for all of the flywheel mag assembale
I WAS AMAZED THAT IVE NOW GOT A GGREAT BLUE SPARK AT THE POINTS
confused confused BUT NOT AT ANY OF THE HT LEAD BACK TO THE COIL confused confused confused
DOES THESE VILLIERS 2 STROKE COIL
??????????/DO LOW TENSION AND HIGH TENSION ON SEPERATE IN COIL CURCUITS ???????????????????

THE GOOD NEWS IS IT HAS LOADS OF COMPESION
it always pays to remove head and piston clean up the rings and deglaze the bore and decoke piston STOPS HOTSPOTTING ECT
and BOTTOM END spotless
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME POINTERS IVE NOT THOUGHT OF
THANKS KEV

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers midget 2 stroke  Empty Re: villiers midget 2 stroke

Post by Dave5404 Wed Aug 31 2011, 08:20

hi kev
normally find if you have a spark at the points but not at the plug then the condenser is toast but i'd also check for a break in the lead. any condenser will do to try just make sure it's earthed, but not through you Shocked

we used to connect a condenser to a battery charger for a while then leave it lying on the parts reception desk. You knew when someone picked it up lol! lol! lol! lol!

dave
Dave5404
Dave5404
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 18:41

have you split the crank case? the bearings should be roller type and can only be seen once the cranks are taken apart, the bronze bushes are to seal the crank case.

a bit like this 2 stroke

villiers midget 2 stroke  P1070361

villiers midget 2 stroke  P1070366

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Aug 31 2011, 21:32

no steve
i just tuck the top half off down to the crank and didnt split the bottom in half as all seamed low in play
when i remove the flywheel and backplate to get to the condensior will strip it all back to a pile of bits wash clean oil and reasemble
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 21:40

No Worries,

I fancy picking up a Villiers Midget and converting it from a Vertical engine to a Horizontal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31 2011, 23:10

Here on is

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gV72XzWL4PyWzhSmnU6PxQ

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Sep 01 2011, 05:18

ok looks different
do they run ok on there side
as fords did a slopper mod for small wagons with big engines and they always wore out the bores ovel and smoked
lol lol its a two stroke it smokes anyways lol lol
when mines finished will try it with a fitting like the other an see if it works

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers midget 2 stroke  Empty villiers two stroke carb

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Sep 01 2011, 05:35

ive know manage to get all the carb componants freed and removed for a good clean up
took 3hrs to get the top of and another 2 days soaking
and now all sripped cleaned and ready for a fuel tank and pipe
float was sorry for its self as the float chamber bowl had suffered with standing and water in it rusted up so bad
it crushed the float all the way around the sides
and pushed it to the top of the carb and punchured it on the fuel needle level pin
so have used float and bowl from a later villiers 4 stroke carb look the same as
throtle cable well rotted together so will have to look if i have a bitza cable to make do
airfilter fin guaze has survived and its spring still intact COULD DO WITH RECHROMING but will have to do for now with oil on it
exhurst has now been refitted for now see what happens to it with use , if she goes again will treat it to a heat spray paint
so all ive left to do is GET A SPARK FROM THE POINTS TO THE COIL OUT ?????????????????????
HAVE REMOVED THE FLYWHEEL AND BACCK PLATE TO REMOVE THE CONDENSIOR but if its not that ?????????????coil ??????
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 10:25

Just a bit on turning an engine on it's side you all must remember that Leyland turned the 600/680 on it's side for bus/coach applications and never had any problems with un-due wear and a lot of other companies followed with out any problems. The Ford engine was just slightly tilted but were always a poor engine, classed the same as Bedfords as light weights. Ford always had head gasket failure as there main problem thus causing over heating and liner failure where as Bedfords were mainly bottom end crank problems.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Sep 02 2011, 05:04

stationary stu wrote:Just a bit on turning an engine on it's side you all must remember that Leyland turned the 600/680 on it's side for bus/coach applications and never had any problems with un-due wear and a lot of other companies followed with out any problems. The Ford engine was just slightly tilted but were always a poor engine, classed the same as Bedfords as light weights. Ford always had head gasket failure as there main problem thus causing over heating and liner failure where as Bedfords were mainly bottom end crank problems.

Stu.
hi stu
leyland trucks wornt the best
BUT from the same stable house something that was ahead of its time and failed becouse ,to high,to powerfull and just to big for the time and this was what the farmers said...LOL lol
i have a leyland 285 tractor with a side shift box 2GEAR STICK ON BOLTH SIDES OF THE SEAT and a flat cab floor and a rear exhust pipe out of vision all waysinstead of between your legs as fitted with the 6/98 pushes out 100hp naturally asperated and as a factory class detuned will still outpull on the field and road most of the modern equvalants and use less fuel doing so ,had it on a local steam rally tractor pulling sled and it was out pulling prostocks super modified tractorss with water injection,twin superchargers ethernol and diesel injected . she just barked dug in lifted the front to hoovering just of the ground and full pulled 12ton deadweight i think it was called deadweight
mind you the leyland axle for the 285/2100 models weighed 1/2 ton and then 3/4 ton of weights and a steel plate chassis from front to the back county axle is 1 1/4 thick steel plate i must say that she has to be the best field find ive everdone , and on the road she does around 28 mph not bad for a machine from the 1960s stable , sounds just like tractors in/on todays main agents but not so plasticy
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 13:02

Kev sorry to say Leyland engines were one of the best in there day, but they messed up big time with the 500 range, fixed head over head cam. Very good engine but not operator friendly, not an easy engine to overhaul. The 600/680 and after they took over AEC the AEC 760 were all re vamped where as they should of just designed a new engine and the re vamp didn't work. Leyland sold there old engine design to Daf and Daf re vamped it and produced a great engine that was used in all the big trucks.
The tractor engine you refer to is the 6/98 this was a good engine with the only problem being the seals on the liners which could sometimes leak. I didn't work that much on them infact I think I've only ever had 3 to overhaul.
Sorry to have side tracked your thread Kev but once I start on big engines I can't shut up lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Sat Sep 03 2011, 00:06

HI STEVE
thanks for the comments and yes i agree with you on that one
and the 3/98 4/98 and the 6/98 all suffered with the injector copper water jackets leaking and sweelling the injectors in tighter than tight
the engines in the JCBS suffered the most with it
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

villiers midget 2 stroke  Empty BACK TO THE TOPIC OF VILLIERS MIDGET 2STROKE

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Sep 05 2011, 03:37

tryed new condensers on villiers to day but still nopower/ spark from coil s oi found a villiers coil dealer local to me
emailed him noonish and he delivered it 5pm on a sunday to order to door 5 hrs 1x new coil had to modifiy as they dont make them as long as the midgets anymore what they callvilliers longcoil is 20mm shorter anywere in the world even tiawan
so mofified and fitted and a spark off my gauges and gave me a dead arm for twenty mins , MY FAULT
I WAS SPINNING THE FLYWHEEL DOWN THE THREAD HOLDING IT ON ITS SIDE BY THE PLUG LOL LOL LOL
SO WILL BE CONNECTING A FORM OFF FUEL TANK TO IT FOR TESTING
and hope to be testing jlo at the same time fingers crossed
thanks kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05 2011, 10:46

Glad to hear you managed to find a condensor and have it in record time, and it sounds to be working fine now lol! lol!
Waiting for hear about the run up next so hopefully you can find a tank or something suitable to use.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down