www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please?

5 posters

Go down

Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please? Empty Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please?

Post by gellyone Thu Jun 30 2011, 20:29

Hello,

I am trying to find out more about the fire pump shown in the picture please. Pump is made by Godiva I think??
Coventry Climax Engine, don't know much else any help appreciated,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards

Jason

gellyone

Back to top Go down

Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please? Empty Re: Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30 2011, 20:42

All I know about those was the engine was latter adapted by rootes group for the Hillman imp.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please? Empty Re: Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please?

Post by mike d Fri Jul 01 2011, 06:06

HI JASON..
have you tried getting hold of the fire engine museum or something like that?
they mite be able to help you,if you have a fire station near you pop in and ask if anyone knows anything
good luck mate,keep us posted on your progress..
regards,mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:32

Sorry can't help but it does look a nice project.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by specialbuilder Sun Oct 06 2013, 18:38

Hi,
that's an FWP engine. It could be the earlier 1020 cc or the later FWBP which is 1498 cc. It depends on what is cast and stamped on the block and/or head.
It isn't the later FWMP (745cc) as that has the dissy right up front and is physically smaller. Yours is the type that lead to the first FWA racing engines.
It is the FWM that was modified to be the Hillman Imp and then the Sunbeam 928cc engines.
Hope that helps. Please keep it and look after it. Coventry Climax engines are jewels.

Martin

specialbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by oldcar Sat Apr 05 2014, 04:33

Coventry Climax started making engines in 1903. The first in a long series of water (fire) pumps in 1917. The most common were the (1938) 4 cylinder side valve 748cc engine This came in three series SMP-1, 2 & 3. There were significant changes between the type 1 and 2 with less changes for the Type 3. These were mainly with the carburettor  change from up draught to down draught and the addition of a mechanical petrol pump. At the same time the magneto was up-dated to a Lucas Vertical  Model VP4. These continued into the 1950s to ultimately be replaced with the aluminium Overhead Cam engine designated FWP (Feather Weight Pump) a variation of this engine was used in the Hillman IMP. Lotus also used this engine in a number of their sports and racing cars.
The SMP-1 engine was developed from an engine originally destined for the ill-fated Swift 'Cadet' cars. Unfortunately by the time it came onto the market 1928-9 Austin had taken command of the light car market.
Bj

oldcar

Back to top Go down

Post by specialbuilder Sat Apr 05 2014, 10:07

No, the FWP engine, whilst the one that went on to be modified (head, cam, crank mainly) for racing car use,it was the FWMP, made from the FWM (Feather Weight Marine) engine which with considerable modification) became the Hillman Imp engine. The FWM (of which I have both an early and a late model) was physically smaller than the FWP and was of first 650 ish cc and later 750. hence the modified one for the Imp being 875cc. The FWP has its dissy in the middle of the block and a jack shaft internally. The FWM has no jackshaft and its dissy is right up front. When this engine got used for the Imp developments it became known as the FWMA (Feather Wight Marine Automobile).
The FWM was also proposed for use in an outboard motor. About 50 of these were made and tested by the Marines in Poole Harbour. But few, if any remain.

Cheers,
Martin

specialbuilder

Back to top Go down

Identification of Coventry Climax Pump please? Empty Coventry Climax in Attenuated Genset

Post by davrix Sun Oct 11 2015, 10:23

I have recently acquired a 6KVA Genset which I have now found has Coventry Climax FWMB engine powering it... I think his is the 748cc version and appears to be military spec with the HT leads shielded etc etc. It's been left in a Yard for many years and I am hoping to bring it back to life. Does anyone else have knowledge of such a Genset - it's highly enclosed and called 'Generator Set Noise Attenuated' made by Air-Log Ltd. All info gratefully received thanks Dave

davrix

Back to top Go down

Post by specialbuilder Sun Oct 11 2015, 10:33

Hi, my newer FWM engine came from a gen set. I still have the stuff which makes it a gen-set engine, i.e. oil system, cooling system, speed governor system, etc. I also have a photocopied manual for it.

If any of that would be of use, please PM me.

Martin

specialbuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down