www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

paint thinners

4 posters

Go down

paint thinners Empty paint thinners

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05 2009, 18:30

I was in my local car parts suppliers today and I was talking to the guy that works there about paint. He was saying that paint thinners was getting more difficult to get and the price was going up all the time. It has a lot to do with car paint shops using different paint types where they don't use the normal, old type thinners. So may be worth stocking up and getting a gallon or two, but check prices as its only about a tenner a gall. and some places charge a fortune for it more so if it's only a small can

Stu.

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty Re: paint thinners

Post by JONESEY Sat Sep 05 2009, 20:00

I always use Cellowse thinners £10.00 a gallen.
Most car paints are water based now , crap if you ask me.. Laughing
Chris
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty i have never used it

Post by Admin Sat Sep 05 2009, 21:10

i have never used it, so wouldnt know

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06 2009, 02:15

Well you do now Ryan. see ya learn everyday. I tend to use petrol as a paint thinner as it works just as well for me and you haven't got to be to fussy about the paint you use, although I try to use enamel if I can. I just use normal household undercoat and primer with out any problems.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by JONESEY Sun Sep 06 2009, 10:17

Years and years ago in my youth we painted are nabours car an Austin Aleggrow with house hold paint it lasted for years Very Happy
Chris
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06 2009, 12:08

Our local radio show does a topic everyday, and friday last week the topic was what was the first car you ever owned. There were some great stories and it came up that you never see a hand painted car anymore, so the twp d.j.'s asked anyone listening if they had a car they could hand paint lol! lol! as far as I know no one offered a car. I hand painted an old land rover I had, waited till a red hot day, warmed the paint and away I went. Not a bad job even if I say so myself. Very Happy .

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Mon Sep 07 2009, 00:03

hi stu
ive only sprayed one engine
its a lot of hag i think
ide rather get the old trusty paint brush out
plenty of primer and then on with the paint

mike.
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty what colour ???????????????

Post by Admin Mon Sep 07 2009, 00:20

JONESEY wrote:Years and years ago in my youth we painted are nabours car an Austin Aleggrow with house hold paint it lasted for years Very Happy
Chris

what colour lol! lol!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 07 2009, 05:49

The only Austin Allegro in the country to be painted mid brunswick green. lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 07 2009, 05:52

Mike I feel the same by the time you get the spray gun out and set it up its not worth it unless you have a lot to spray. The worst part is cleaning it out when you've finished takes longer to clean then the parts you've sprayed.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty Thinners

Post by BRASSO Mon Sep 07 2009, 10:01

I have painted all of my lister engines with Polyurathane Mid Brunswick Green from my local body paint supplier.
It gives a lovely glossy finish, but you have to be very carefull with petrol on it. (as I found out at my very first rally). I filled the tank up before we left home, but it leaked on the journey and took all the paint off the fuel tank. (For my first rally it really did look awfull).
I learnt my lesson and never travel with any fuel in my engines. Had to repaint the whole tank again.

I generally use Fast Flash thinners, but this is very expensive about £5.00 per litre. It does work well and the paint goes off really quickly with it. I use a cheaper brand for gun cleaning etc.

You do seem to waste a lot of paint when you spray, and however carefull you are it seems to get on everything in the garage. And of course you need to wear a very good quality mask, for health reasons. I think my last one last for 20 hours use and cost about £20.00.

My H2 pump that I am just finishing, I hand painted with the polyurathane and to be honest it looks really good.
BRASSO
BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty yeah petrol and fresh paint dont go

Post by Admin Mon Sep 07 2009, 10:41

MARTIN BRASSO HAMBLY wrote:I have painted all of my lister engines with Polyurathane Mid Brunswick Green from my local body paint supplier.
It gives a lovely glossy finish, but you have to be very carefull with petrol on it. (as I found out at my very first rally). I filled the tank up before we left home, but it leaked on the journey and took all the paint off the fuel tank. (For my first rally it really did look awfull).
I learnt my lesson and never travel with any fuel in my engines. Had to repaint the whole tank again.

I generally use Fast Flash thinners, but this is very expensive about £5.00 per litre. It does work well and the paint goes off really quickly with it. I use a cheaper brand for gun cleaning etc.

You do seem to waste a lot of paint when you spray, and however carefull you are it seems to get on everything in the garage. And of course you need to wear a very good quality mask, for health reasons. I think my last one last for 20 hours use and cost about £20.00.

My H2 pump that I am just finishing, I hand painted with the polyurathane and to be honest it looks really good.

i first done that to my D its very upsetting to see that lovely paint peel off, martin on your domestic pump, what materials did you use to make the drain pipe on the side of it

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty Side Drain Pipe For Domestic Pump

Post by BRASSO Mon Sep 07 2009, 22:15

Ryan,

I got the pipe from The surplus power tool place down at Portreath.
I will have to doubel check on the exact size for you. he norammly has a box of small brass compression fittings there as well. You just need to have a bit of a dig around in the box to find the right bits, olives etc. I think I may have a couple of spare ones, If I find one in the next couple of days I will let you know and post one down for you, unless you are going to either Lanivery or St Mawgan rally over the next two weekends I could bring one on for you. I may also have a small bit of pipe so you can get the correct size.

regards

Martin
BRASSO
BRASSO
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

paint thinners Empty think im going to have to pay this bloke a visit

Post by Admin Tue Sep 08 2009, 04:30

MARTIN BRASSO HAMBLY wrote:Ryan,

I got the pipe from The surplus power tool place down at Portreath.
I will have to doubel check on the exact size for you. he norammly has a box of small brass compression fittings there as well. You just need to have a bit of a dig around in the box to find the right bits, olives etc. I think I may have a couple of spare ones, If I find one in the next couple of days I will let you know and post one down for you, unless you are going to either Lanivery or St Mawgan rally over the next two weekends I could bring one on for you. I may also have a small bit of pipe so you can get the correct size.

regards

Martin

prob not those rallys, got to do perranwell as its our club rally and my local one, maybe st mawgan, hope to see you there maybe

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down