www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

hello and help

+2
Woodsman
heathermuir
6 posters

Go down

hello and help Empty hello and help

Post by heathermuir Wed Jan 04 2023, 13:52

I live in rural Argyll and am reliant on a lister domestic water pump for pumping water from a well. Over the last 6 years we have managed to buy 2nd hand restored pumps so have several pump sections which could be restored. Neither myself or my partner have the inclination to restore them. So if someone wants to have a go I am up for a discussion. More importantly we are having problems with our pump. The problems started after the freeing icy weather. We can get the pump running however water leaks from the water/ air chamber gaskets and the pressure is so great that the gaskets buckle. We have tried new gaskets and opening up the air valve screw/bolt to no avail. Most of the times we have to prime the water chambers to get it going again. We have tightened all the pipe joints. Can anyone suggest what to try next?

heathermuir
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

hello and help Empty Re: hello and help

Post by Woodsman Wed Jan 04 2023, 15:01

Hi and welcome to the forum.
A bit far me to travel but I know we have a few members in the frozen north who may be able to help. Good luck.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heathermuir Wed Jan 04 2023, 15:13

Having someone to talk through things may be helpful as I can't imagine someone lives close enough to visit.

heathermuir

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Wed Jan 04 2023, 20:17

Hi, what sort of head are you pumping from and too, no restrictions further up the pipe away from the pump pressurising the air chamber?

Good luck
Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Thu Jan 05 2023, 07:21

Hi and welcome sign   to the forum
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by heathermuir Thu Jan 05 2023, 16:05

chrismac wrote:Hi, what sort of head are you pumping from and too, no restrictions further up the pipe away from the pump pressurising the air chamber?

Good luck
Chris

Hi Chris

the water source is a ground level well and the pump sits next to the well. From the pump the pipe goes underground for 50m(ish) and when it enters the house at ground level it rises about 13 feet to a first floor tank. A float switch controls the stop/ start of the refill cycle. All was working beautifully before christmas and I'm assuming somewhere in the pipes and/or pump the water froze. Once the weather warmed up we have been able to get the pump working and supplying water however there are now several problems 1) water seeps out from the air chamber gaskets even though we have put new gaskets on 2) when the pump is stopped air gets into the system and draws the water out of the pump resevoir so that the next time we have to prime the pump with water 3) we are trying to relieve the air pressure by opening the air release valve on the air chamber dome - opening it up too much stops the water being pumped.

heathermuir

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Thu Jan 05 2023, 17:08

If the gasket won’t seal I think the casting must be cracked from frost damage
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by heathermuir Thu Jan 05 2023, 17:10

So even though it is pumping water there still could be a cracked casting?

heathermuir

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Thu Jan 05 2023, 17:13

Yes and where water can leak so can air
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by heathermuir Thu Jan 05 2023, 17:23

ok thanks

heathermuir

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Thu Jan 05 2023, 18:38

Maybe, the freezing of the outlet pipe could have loosened lots of scale from the inside of the pipe causing a partial blockage in the outlet pipe, resulting in higher pressure and blowing air bell gaskets out. Just a thought....

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Thu Jan 05 2023, 21:31

heathermuir wrote:
chrismac wrote:Hi, what sort of head are you pumping from and too, no restrictions further up the pipe away from the pump pressurising the air chamber?

Good luck
Chris

Hi Chris

the water source is a ground level well and the pump sits next to the well. From the pump the pipe goes underground for 50m(ish) and when it enters the house at ground level it rises about 13 feet to a first floor tank. A float switch controls the stop/ start of the refill cycle. All was working beautifully before christmas and I'm assuming somewhere in the pipes and/or pump the water froze. Once the weather warmed up we have been able to get the pump working and supplying water however there are now several problems 1) water seeps out from the air chamber gaskets even though we have put new gaskets on 2) when the pump is stopped air gets into the system and draws the water out of the pump resevoir so that the next time we have to prime the pump with water 3) we are trying to relieve the air pressure by opening the air release valve on the air chamber dome - opening it up too much stops the water being pumped.

You could take the chamber off and have a look for frost damage but I doubt it would be around the sealing faces only and the top or sides would have suffered some damage with cracks visible.

Can you fit a pressure gauge on the outlet in case there is a restriction as mentioned above.

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum