www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Inactivity

+12
georgineer
Foden
Robotstar5
philipagri
neil (LE)
blue cat
Appletop
Woodsman
cranium
maryalice
chrismac
Andywaters
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Inactivity Empty Inactivity

Post by Andywaters Sun Dec 18 2022, 20:49

I’m pretty dismayed that of 3,700 plus members only about 10 contribute or take part.

What is wrong?
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Inactivity Empty Re: Inactivity

Post by chrismac Sun Dec 18 2022, 21:53

Lol no one get get anything done from reading all your posts,

My personal circumstances mean all my current restoration projects are complete, many of which were fairly extensive and documented but lost on the old forum we used to use prior to this one being restarted, lots of members have rejoined here and its great this forum is up and running but no projects means very little input.

Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Dec 18 2022, 23:08

Personally, I keep myself to myself when it comes to restorations, I prefer to bring an engine back to life mechanically and show it how it was found and or how the factory made it, and there are several others from the old forum who are in a similar vein, I meet them at a rally we have a laugh and enjoy the weekend.
Until recently I've been a one make man and still am, with the exception of one engine, and if I can help I will be it spares or info and after 38 years of rallying I'm still learning and being on here is being able to stay in contact with the likes of Blue Cat, Appletop who on and off and including his brother I've known for most of that time, Stuartturnersteve and others.
Being on this Forum isn't about restoring engines,thats just a small part of it, it's about sharing our experiences, looking for answers, discussing problems and looking for that rare spare part to get the engine back up and running.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cranium Mon Dec 19 2022, 08:13

.....and me Martin! And me!!
E

cranium
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon Dec 19 2022, 08:17

Always you Eric, have a good Christmas

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Mon Dec 19 2022, 11:50

Andywaters wrote:....
What is wrong?

A question I have asked myself many times Andy - without getting a sensible answer!  
This year alone 205 people joined the forum. Lots of members visit regularly and never post. Many join and never revisit.
Whenever I attend a rally I try to drum up more members, sometimes with more success than others. Not sure what else we can do. All, anatomically feasible, suggestions considered.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Mon Dec 19 2022, 16:29

Woodsman wrote:
What is wrong?

A question I have asked myself many times Andy - without getting a sensible answer!  
This year alone 205 people joined the forum. Lots of members visit regularly and never post. Many join and never revisit.
Whenever I attend a rally I try to drum up more members, sometimes with more success than others. Not sure what else we can do. All, anatomically feasible, suggestions considered.

I don't see what the issue is, youve plenty of "members", I dont always post unless I have something interesting to post about, some people must just use it as a source of information, they may not like posting for fear of criticism, there are all manner of reasons.

I'm a member of a model engineering group and hardly ever post but the site is awash with hints, tips and ideas regarding using your own machines and how to make things.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Mon Dec 19 2022, 17:56

chrismac wrote:Lol no one get get anything done from reading all your posts,

My personal circumstances mean all my current restoration projects are complete,  many of which were fairly extensive and documented but lost on the old forum we used to use prior to this one being restarted, lots of members have rejoined here and its great this forum is up and running but no projects means very little input.

Chris

Very Happy
Glad you read my stuff anyway thanx

It's because forums expire that I host all my own pictures. All I can lose is my time and the text if the worst happens. The galleries will be available as long as I keep paying smugmug who are USA based and I've used for must be 15 yrs already.

I also post everything in the relevant Facebook groups for each engine or pump.
Appletop runs a very good water pump group Cool

A forum platform is much better for projects and the help when needed especially parts yes from generous members
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Mon Dec 19 2022, 18:33

Thing with forums is, although easier to use and find threads etc. it isn't so easy to upload photos plus you don't get the instant response you do on faceache.
Fozzers was a fantastic forum and very popular "back in the day" but even that only had about 50 members who post regularly out of thousands.
Unfortunately it is how life is nowadays. The IF forum has even less traffic than this one..../
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Mon Dec 19 2022, 19:01

Appletop wrote:Thing with forums is, although easier to use and find threads etc. it isn't so easy to upload photos plus you don't get the instant response you do on faceache.
Fozzers was a fantastic forum and very popular "back in the day" but even that only had about 50 members who post regularly out of thousands.
Unfortunately it is how life is nowadays. The IF forum has even less traffic than this one..../  

Agree totally, I have no interest in using facebook, the forum a place to go to get sensible responses, not the replies the keyboard warriors sometimes leave, stuff gets lost on facebook too, absolutely no use for gathering information.

Such a shame how quiet the IF forum is with all the work they do, manuals for one is a huge undertaking.

chrismac

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Mon Dec 19 2022, 19:33

I'm only on this forum about twice a week, but have been involved with stationary engines since 1971, over that time I've restored engines, exhibitted engines at shows, done engine jumble, written articles and produced the annual index for Stationary Engine magazine, and specifically help Norman engine owners. As maryalice notes I know quite a few members on here, and try to help others when I can, I see I've done 800+ posts so must have contributed something. However, I'm not as active as I was, and I guess maintaining enthusiasm for engines for over 50 years has wanned a little, but I still collect engines and enjoy them, and like to take part in this forum from time to time.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by neil (LE) Mon Dec 19 2022, 19:42

I for one would love to be in a position to be posting more. Unfortunately my current project, the Scott Generating set, is too large to be able to work on in my garage and with sub-zero temperatures and 4" of snow there is nothing I can actually achieve.

I really appreciate all those who do post and I read them all. When I started my thread on the Scott, I actually stated that I was doing so, to provide some relief from the restrictions of the Pandemic lockdowns, when all stationary engine events were cancelled.

Although I read all post I do not necessarily reply to all, as sometimes I feel rather conscious that it is the same few responding with the similar comments which all becomes a little predictable. However I must admit I sometimes find it is a little difficult to gauge the real interest in my own posts, when there is so little in the way of any feedback but that is the nature of these forums.

I look forward to when I'm in a position to start boring you all again, when the weather improves and the restoration re-commences, with so little to do before it is finished. As they say, be careful what you wish for!

Wishing all the best for the festive season.

Neil.

neil (LE)
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Tue Dec 20 2022, 07:42

I check the forum most days for new information, ways to do things etc. Sometimes I post but I have a farm to run and while stationary engines are an enjoyable hobby they don't bring home the bacon. I also collect all sorts of old agricultural machines and manage to restore some but they are not all fitted with stationary engines and not all appropriate on here.
philipagri
philipagri

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Tue Dec 20 2022, 09:35

I'm lucky/fortunate to be retired which helps significantly and also wish everyone a good Christmas drunken

It's not difficult to find stuff on Facebook if you know how. If you know who posted what you're looking for just find the group it was in and click on their name. It will then bring up everything posted by that individual and it works on your name too if you forgot what you've posted.
Also often overlooked is the search function which is surprisingly good. However its no good searching for Lister D in the Lister D group LOL
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Tue Dec 20 2022, 10:04

What's Facebook

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Tue Dec 20 2022, 10:19

Woodsman wrote:
What is wrong?

Just accept it that's how forums work Very Happy

I've just checked the stats on another forum I mod on
currently nearly 35k members
average 5-6 join (or attempt to join) every day
probably 200 active members that post most days which works out at .005% of the membership if my sums are right
some join, don't post and are never seen again
some join, probably looking for information, don't post but do check in now and again
some join, ask a question, get answers and are never seen again
some join to spam the forum, but if the forum software doesn't catch them the members soon spot them and report them
it originally started as a DIY welding forum about 2007, but due to the wide ranging skills, knowledge etc. of the members you can ask a question on almost any subject and someone will know the answer which is probably why it is quite high on the list of search engines

It all comes down to what you want out of a forum, I think a lot of folk join as they have an interest in a subject and just want to read about it, similar to reading a magazine, newspaper etc.

at least this forum is an easy going one, some are ruled with an iron fist, if you don't agree with admin you're out Crying or Very sad

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Tue Dec 20 2022, 16:08

Robotstar5 wrote:
at least this forum is an easy going one, some are ruled with an iron fist, if you don't agree with admin you're out  Crying or Very sad

Just watch your step Stuart! Smile

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Tue Dec 20 2022, 18:41

Every forum that I use is down on user content, not much can be done about it but it seems to be a universal problem. Like other posters have said I also know many of the members on here and have rallied with them over the years, personally I haven't got much to contribute nowadays as since being retired I have far less spare time than I did years ago (I made time then, but nowadays there is always tomorrow Laughing ) and the many projects I have on the go will take me years to get finished, if they ever are! Some are being passed on in the New Year but I might put something together on here when I decide just which project to tackle next! Smile

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Tue Dec 20 2022, 18:57

Cheers to all, most of the active participants have responded Fingers Crossed

Speaking of the New year I've changed NVTEC groups to EAST Yorkshire. See you around the North I hope
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by georgineer Thu Dec 22 2022, 14:39

It isn't a new phenomenon Andy. Back in the seventies I was on the committee of a kit-car owners' club, and out of maybe a hundred members only a few regulars attended meetings. I was editor of the quarterly journal and getting members to contribute was always a problem. It's the nature of all societies and groups if you let people join them.

I see that in the four years since I joined this forum I have made 41 posts (it'll be 42 in a moment) but I've no idea what about or when the last one was. As far as I recall I have never started a thread. Sometimes I don't log in for weeks at a time. I read posts for interest, but most of them don't apply to what I do so I don't respond. Does that make me a dead weight? I rather hope not.

George

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Thu Dec 22 2022, 14:45

Thank you for your 42nd contribution George Very Happy Thanks for taking the time to give feedback rendeer
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Thu Dec 22 2022, 14:59

georgineer wrote:It isn't a new phenomenon Andy. Back in the seventies I was on the committee of a kit-car owners' club, and out of maybe a hundred members only a few regulars attended meetings. I was editor of the quarterly journal and getting members to contribute was always a problem. It's the nature of all societies and groups if you let people join them.

I see that in the four years since I joined this forum I have made 41 posts (it'll be 42 in a moment) but I've no idea what about or when the last one was. As far as I recall I have never started a thread. Sometimes I don't log in for weeks at a time. I read posts for interest, but most of them don't apply to what I do so I don't respond. Does that make me a dead weight? I rather hope not.

George

George,
Dont worry about it, this is my 1065th post and not many weeks ago I got accused of not doing my bit, it is what it is, like you I was the Editor of my SE club and I wrote it all every month as nobody else would and our attendance is a third of the total membership.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fowlerfan Fri Dec 23 2022, 16:13

Interesting thread, a few folk will know me for my liking of Fowler engines and my old website Stationary Engines Scotland.  I used to be a regular on Fozzers, before that the old uk.rec newsgroup and then before that (circa 1996) there was a newsgroup run out of the US which was probably one of the first.  I log in here about once a week, usually on the weekend. Work, family life and various other factors have enforced a stop to engine activities but I hope that will change in time. I have little to contribute at the moment but like catching up on posts and seeing what folk are up to.  The FB groups serve a purpose for instant gratification and those seeking 'likes' but for long term and useful reference you can't beat a forum.
Digressing - its a similar theme to the topic that pops up now and again over on FB about the 'quality of the SEM' these days.  Its only as good as the contributions that are received and many of the regulars give up a lot of time and effort to produce excellent articles.  I enjoy writing the odd article but as above, I have no time for such activities at the moment. It is a shame folk knock our only regular magazine which is also an invaluable reference for the hobby...I used to spend hours pouring over back issues and would encourage anyone to invest in collecting a few back issues.
I will head off back to my usual lurking ways!
Seasons Greetings to All  santa
Dave McC
fowlerfan
fowlerfan

http://www.stationaryenginesscotland.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Fri Dec 23 2022, 16:20

Dave,
Long time no spoke, haven't seen you at Dorset for a while, nice to know your still about.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nickh Fri Dec 23 2022, 17:59

I drop in occasionally but, still smarting from the demise of Fozzers forum which between the odd bouts of silliness had built up into an invaluable archive of engine related information, I have succumbed to the instant gratification of facebook and its goldfish memory.
nickh
nickh
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum