www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY

+2
blue cat
Bob The Skiprat
6 posters

Go down

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Empty Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY

Post by Bob The Skiprat Sat Aug 13 2022, 20:51

Hi Won a Norman T300 on EBAY very happy as I don't have to travel far for it will post some pictures when the vendor has got in touch with me for collection Very Happy

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Empty Re: Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY

Post by blue cat Sun Aug 14 2022, 13:22

I watched that one, strong bidding, but a typical price for a running engine.

Norman Mk2 # TA4567 : Sold to Thomas Green & Son, Leeds as the power until for a 24 or 40 inch Master lawnmower. Dates to 13 October 1950, Wico magneto and canister exhausts are original. Heads need swapping over to the right cylinders. Air filter missing, they quite often are on ex-Greens engines as the were fitted, not on the engine, but outside the engine compartment.

I bought one recently too, a Mk1 from 1944, but it was 22o miles away (each way) to go collect it. Heads also on wrong cylinders.

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  100_2213

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Empty Re: Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY

Post by Andywaters Sun Aug 14 2022, 17:21

Bob The Skiprat wrote: Hi Won a Norman T300 on EBAY very happy as I don't have to travel far for it will post some pictures when the vendor has got in touch with me for collection Very Happy
Well done I expect I was watching it from AFAR Sad one day there'll be one just down the road for me. Cool
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Sun Aug 14 2022, 17:43

Hi Blue Cat thanks very much for information much appreciated nice to know the history of the engine looking forward in restoring it and show it next year a great winter project . Hi Andy one will turn up near you kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Sun Aug 14 2022, 18:08

There is a very nice Maytag too but might as well be in Outer Mongolia, likewise a nice mar-vil
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Sun Aug 14 2022, 19:36

Hi Andy you will get one in the end my other interests are valve Radios and TVs been looking for a Bush TV22 but most are 300 miles + round trip then in June I found one only a 26 mile round trip kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Sun Aug 14 2022, 19:39

Mine are scratch building scale model boats
Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  1B06D73F-99FF-4660-8517-4494C99787E0-X2

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  512C559A-6D2F-4EA2-AB6C-E7E9C0335844-X2
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Sun Aug 14 2022, 20:14

Hi Andy nice model boat I was as a model boat gala last Sunday at Roker Park next to where i live in Sunderland great turn out as the weather was really nice for a change 45 years ago there used to be boats powered by steam and glow engines and I remember the glow engines having a large flywheel that had to be started with a leather belt kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Sun Aug 14 2022, 20:30

I can imagine Bob. Things haven't changed much in the old model scene but mine is bang up to date. It took a year to build from plans and is powered by brushless motors through reduction gearing. Two 22AH mobility scooter batteries drive the twin 87mm 4 blade propellers and out put is limited to 25% to give a scale speed. It would easily pull a barge. Weighing in at 75lb in old money it has to be launched in stages Hull + Batteries + superstructure.
I've built many different model in the past 5 yrs and have more unfinished that finished

https://techno.smugmug.com/Shannon/n-MfgVDR/MBD-Shannon-II/i-jXJmD5H/A
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Sun Aug 14 2022, 20:53

Hi Andy some model boat at 75lb you would need some glow engine to power that boat you should build a steam powered boat but the only issue would be that the boiler has to be certified nice pictures of your model making kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sun Aug 14 2022, 23:46

Andy,

As somebody who likes his boats I dug this out of my files.

She is a river tug called smokey as seen on the Thames, the hull is made from a solid piece of timber and the upper decks are steel sheet, she is powered by a marine boiler driving a compound twin steam engine through a single screw propeller, the boiler is heated by a coal fire, my grandfather built her from scratch including the engine, the boiler was made by Bonds of London, as kids my brother and I had the job of breaking the coal into tiny pieces so they could be shovelled int the fire box.
In the late 70s/early 80s my grandfather went onto a programme called Magpie as the representative of the MPBA showing other boats which members had made. Off camera he bet the programme people his tug could tow their two ton motor boat on the Thames and the following week he did it.
When he died Smokey went to a big auction house in London and was auctioned to raise money for his wife and we his family lost track of it but I do have smokey II a smaller version also powered by a coal fired boiler and compound twin.
The pond is Victoria Pond London.

Maryalice
Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Granda10

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanengine Mon Aug 15 2022, 09:14

Victoria Pond! My Dad used to take myself and my brother there often when visiting Nan & Grandad in Poplar.
Loved it, sometimes so many boaters the edge was virtually full up! Went there a few years ago and seem to remember it was drained so not to be a 'safety hazard '
Mad world.

Love your engine!

Alan

Alanengine
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Andywaters Mon Aug 15 2022, 09:50

Nice memories 👌
Andywaters
Andywaters
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Mon Aug 15 2022, 18:36

One of our local kids paddling pools was drained because of 'elf and safety. Bonkers!

Visited an old mate last week - he still has the cannon we made from high pressure steam pipe.😱

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Tue Aug 16 2022, 22:02

Hi got engine very happy tried to post some pictures but for some reason I can not upload them . Anyway one issue that the vendor on Ebay had described was a fuel leak from the carburettor thought at first it was leaking from the pipe next to the banjo pipe on the carburettor but after a closer look it is the fuel tap is loose on the fuel tank and the fuel is leaking from the fibre washers and creeping down the fuel pipe to the carburettor . next step is to turn the cylinder heads round for the spark plugs to be next to the cooling fan and find an oil pressure gauge as the engine did not have one fitted as been a MK 2 and fitted to a lawn mower  thanks to donp for looking at the engine for his opinion  this afternoon and blue cat for giving me advise on thread sizes

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Empty Pictures

Post by Bob The Skiprat Wed Aug 17 2022, 18:37

Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Img_3416
Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Img_3417
Very Happy Bunny Won A Norman T300 On EBAY  Img_3418
Hear some pictures kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Wed Aug 17 2022, 19:16

Bob The Skiprat wrote: next step is to ........   find an oil pressure gauge as the engine did not have one fitted as been a MK 2 and fitted to a lawn mower  

Hi Bob, nearly all Norman T300 Mk2 engines are fitted with a brass "pop out" oil pressure indicator, and your engine is fitted with one of these. Oil gauges were fitted to some engines, for example the Mk2 marine engine, where customers requested one. If you wish to fit a gauge you will need one which reads a maximum of 40-50 lbs/sq". The normal running pressure is 30 lbs/sq". Be sure to keep the brass "pop out" oil pressure indicator as these are a hard to find Norman item.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob The Skiprat Wed Aug 17 2022, 21:25

Hi Philip thanks for your advise again much appreciated kind regards Bob

Bob The Skiprat
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down