www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Norman SC Engine

4 posters

Go down

Norman SC Engine  Empty Norman SC Engine

Post by Guldner Thu Jul 08 2021, 21:44

Good evening Peeps,

Having just acquired a Norman SC which is in need of some restoration, I require a manual. Does such a Golden Fleece exist?

Basically the engine has no compression, hopefully just stuck piston rings, however when I strip it down, things like bore diameter will be required. Valve clearances as well, points and plug gap would be a boon.

This is a lovely little engine complete with shielded plug/magneto lead , base and cage. Unfortunately the fuel tank is not original, not having a clue as to location shape etc I’m not fussed. The base has the original service plaque which is nice.

So any information and or how to contact “Air-Cooled” would be greatly received

Have fun & Stay Safe

G Very Happy

Guldner
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Norman SC Engine  Empty Re: Norman SC Engine

Post by Foden Thu Jul 08 2021, 23:19

Hi Paul, Phillip (aircooled) is 'Blue Cat' on this forum. Wink

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Jul 09 2021, 09:27

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.
I look forward to seeing some pictures of your new project. I have a T300 festering under a shelf - must pull it, and my finger, out.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Fri Jul 09 2021, 18:29

Guldner wrote:Good evening Peeps,

Having just acquired a Norman SC which is in need of some restoration, I require a manual. Does such a Golden Fleece exist?

Basically the engine has no compression, hopefully just stuck piston rings, however when I strip it down, things like bore diameter will be required. Valve clearances as well, points and plug gap would be a boon.

This is a lovely little engine complete with shielded plug/magneto lead , base and cage. Unfortunately the fuel tank is not original, not having a clue as to location shape etc I’m not fussed. The base has the original service plaque which is nice.

So any information and or how to contact “Air-Cooled” would be greatly received

Have fun & Stay Safe

G Very Happy

Hi,

No compression - probably stuck rings, but could also be stuck valve or worn valve seating.

Bore 60 mm.
magneto points 12 thou if BTH, 15 thou if Wico A
plug gap 20 thou
Points open 2 inches before TDC (which is marked on the flywheel).
Tappets 2 to 3 thou clearance when cold.

Tank is usually mounted inside the cage.

If you have a few photos please add them to the thread.

I can give you a date of supply if you supply the engine number (stamped on a raised part of the cowling casting under the magneto) should be something like SC1234

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Norman SC Engine  Empty T’Norman

Post by Guldner Sat Jul 10 2021, 20:49

Norman SC Engine  767a5010
Norman SC Engine  5856ee10
Norman SC Engine  73067d10
SCL 1800

Guldner
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldner Sat Jul 10 2021, 20:52

Norman SC Engine  D3d9ad10

Guldner
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Mon Jul 12 2021, 17:27

SC1800
Date of manufacture is November 1941, and supplied to the Air Ministry (as confirmed by the brass plate on the frame).
These were an AC test set for the Air Ministry, produced to Ministry of Aircraft Production contract. They are recorded (by Normans) as being reference 42Y/3, but yours is marked 42Y/1 (no idea why this stores reference was changed). Also marked with Tudor Crown.
Engines fitted with the grooved flywheel (not plain), and also with the new type flywheel withdrawing nut.

I don't know what the AC test set is that was fitted to the Norman SC engine, as there are no details recorded, but it could well have been a small alternator of unknown voltage, rated at no more than 500 watts.

Searching the internet suggests that the AC test set with this stores reference was used with GEE Mk1 equipment (GEE was an early form of navigational aid used during WW2). There are a number of AC test sets associated with GEE Mk1 including the Norman SC powered version and also a JAP 4B powered version. The Norman SC version is claimed to be 500 watts AC, or 500 watts at 24 volt DC and 80 volts AC (an DC/AC set, but no differentiation is made). The AC set was used to test the on-board GEE equipment when the plane was on the ground, and is therefore classed as ground equipment. The set being mounted on a pneumatic-tyred hand cart for mobility. This probably exceeds my level of knowledge  Very Happy

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guldner Fri Jul 16 2021, 20:50

Brilliant….so informative…..I can’t Thank You Enough…….Sorry I didn’t post photos of the flywheel side….I also think that the engine has been turned through 90 degrees….making the unit a close couple unit….Although I haven’t had time to really study the situation yet…..work & dragging t’cavaran away impedes play…

Guldner
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down