www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

lister cs 6/1 valve recess

3 posters

Go down

lister cs 6/1 valve recess Empty lister cs 6/1 valve recess

Post by Chris Fri Nov 06 2020, 09:10

I am in the process of restoring a listeroid sc 6/1 (INDUNA) .The valves are in a very bad state and needs to be replaced. The valve recess is 4.5 mm when close and the specs tolerance is .050 to .100 (1.27 to 2.5 mm)looking at the valves it seats very deep . QUESTION :
Is it important to have the valve recess within spec. Should I skim the head to bring it to spec and than to shorten the push rods or set it correct with the tappet clearance I do not know if the tappets will adjust that much.
I would appreciate any experience suggestions

Chris
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

lister cs 6/1 valve recess Empty Re: lister cs 6/1 valve recess

Post by oldgit Sat Nov 07 2020, 09:36

Those deep valve recesses will lower the compression ratio and impede the gas flow.
The reduced compression ratio may make it harder to start, and also affect combustion, i.e. produce white smoke. This may be tolerable to you, but if the engine is needed to start and work reliably at full power for long periods; then it ought to be corrected (because it's only going to get worse).
I'm not familiar with this engine, but would check with local engine re-conditioners if it is possible to have stellite valve seat inserts fitted.

oldgit
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by chuffchuff Sun Nov 08 2020, 11:21

Hi Chris,  I have much the same problem with a Lister 6/1 that I have. I guess the fix will need to fit new valve seats or find another cylinder head in better condition.
I see new Indian made cylinder heads appearing on eBay at £100. I guess it may cost as much or probably more to have new valve guides, valves and seats fitted to an old head but so far I have not looked into this.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this. Good luck.

chuffchuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sun Nov 08 2020, 14:08

Tanks for the response . Will keep you posted on the developments and and actions

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down