www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil?

5 posters

Go down

Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil? Empty Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil?

Post by Footy Thu Feb 27 2020, 16:14

Hi folks.

I posted some time ago about my Petter A1 engine. https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/t8871-my-1948-petter-a1

My Father restored this engine, and he unfortunately died just as he was trying to get it running. It turned out it would not start because of a mag issue. After many years in storage I got it going and just run it occasionally. When I first checked the engine out it had new oil in it, that had not run at all. I did not change this and it still runs on this and it appears just fine, and still like new.

Now the oil companies are claiming oil has a shelf life of 2 to five years, depending on who you ask. This is even in sealed containers allegedly. This may well be the case with modern additives, or perhaps its just to increase sales? Anyway my oil is now 35 years old, and still seems to be OK to me. The engine is about run in now, so I am changing it anyway. I just wondered if anyone has run engine oil older than this?

Footy
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil? Empty Re: Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil?

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Feb 27 2020, 16:24

Bottle the old oil and put it on Ebay as "genuine vintage barn find" Very Happy

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil? Empty Re: Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil?

Post by maryalice Thu Feb 27 2020, 18:35

I would bin it, I wouldnt use it to lubricate my lathe, unless you store it at a constant warm temperature the container will sweat adding moisture to the oil.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tony RA Thu Feb 27 2020, 21:23

I would drain it out and bin it then fill it with a good oil Stuarts advice is not good for the engine group I don/t want to ruin my engine but I don/t mind ruining yours

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Footy Fri Feb 28 2020, 10:12

Robotstar5 wrote:Bottle the old oil and put it on Ebay as "genuine vintage barn find"  Very Happy

I could sell it like they sell Whisky. "Aged for 35 years in genuine English cast iron" Very Happy

Seriously, having spent 50 years in the engine reconditioning industry, I would not recommend that anyone takes any chances with the oil they use in their engines. Oil is a lot cheaper than engine repairs, there is good advice on the subject on the forum.

My post was just intended to question this shelf life claim about NEW UNUSED oil, that never seemed to be an issue with the basic old monogrades as this particular oil is.

Footy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Fri Feb 28 2020, 14:54

tony RA wrote:I would drain it out and bin it then fill it with a good oil Stuarts advice is not good for the engine group I don/t want to ruin my engine but I don/t mind ruining yours

Have I broken a record here, how old is your engine oil? Joke10

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Feb 28 2020, 17:22

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing bounce bounce bounce bounce
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down