www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z'

+3
blue cat
Robotstar5
Garak
7 posters

Go down

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Empty Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z'

Post by Garak Thu Oct 03 2019, 20:12

I've started the tidy-up of my recently acquired 1920 Fairbanks Morse ZA 3HP

I wanted to change a few things like: the trolly, the wooden one it came on was a bit rickety so luckily I had a nice all metal steerable trolly so with the help of a family member, and after a lot of puffing and blowing we transferred the engine to the all metal one.

It appears to have had been painted a couple of shades of Green during it's life neither of which I like, so I am going to repaint it in a much darker shade of Green. I did some research and chose 'Connaught Green' (GN18).

I've removed all of the small parts and have painted them which just leaves the main engine castings and flywheels to do.

The engine is mechanically sound with no play in any bearings, plenty of compression, and a fat spark from the magneto and apart from the exhaust silencer it has all of it's original parts.

One small problem remains, the trolly has some exposed holes where previous engines / equipment have been fixed in the past and I want to cover these holes with a hardwood, hinged lid tool box, so if anyone has anything suitable please get in touch, something around twelve inches square and around six inches in hight would do nicely.

I will post more pictures during the tidy-up and a video when I get it running.  

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit213
A previous owner had decided to highlight some parts of the engine in bright red, why?  confused

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit212

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit211

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit214
The flywheels are somewhat pitted making paint removal more difficult.

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit215
Two previous shades of Green can be seen here.

Here are some parts painted in my chosen colour:

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit220

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit218

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit219
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Empty Re: Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z'

Post by Robotstar5 Thu Oct 03 2019, 23:02

Nice finish on the painted parts, what brand of paint did you use?.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Empty Re: Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z'

Post by Garak Thu Oct 03 2019, 23:08

Robotstar5 wrote:Nice finish on the painted parts, what brand of paint did you use?.

Paragon Paints engine enamel, hand brushed using a Purdy paintbrush.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Oct 05 2019, 12:05

I bet Fairbanks Morse never got a finish on the crank guard like that Cool

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Sun Oct 06 2019, 11:17

blue cat wrote:I bet Fairbanks Morse never got a finish on the crank guard like that Cool

The finish on that part is mainly due to the fact that there was NO rust on the outside surface of the guard for some reason unlike most of the rest of the engine which has suffered over the years and as can be seen from the flywheels, funnily enough the inside of the guard (protected from the elements) was affected by rust and has not come out as nicely as the outside.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Tue Oct 22 2019, 19:36

Coming on, wont be long now. Sorry about the poor quality photos, I'm in the process of changing my phone and am having to use a spare which has a lower resolution the my regular iPhone.

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit249

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit251

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit250

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit252
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Empty Almost there but with

Post by Garak Mon Oct 28 2019, 16:47

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit262

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit263

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit264

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit266

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit267

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit265

Starting tidy-up of Fairbanks Morse 'Z' Untit268

When I purchased this engine I did see it running and at the time it sounded OK if not a little loud but when I started it it's now making a noise that sounds like gears grinding, or when I review the video it sounds like gas blowing past the piston. Now, there seems to be plenty of compression and when the engine is stopped, the plug removed, and the engine turned over as fast as I can on the flywheel only the usual sound of gears meshing normally is heard, nothing seems to be binding and the engine turns over smoothly. The magneto has a couple of thin aluminium packers between the base and the engine which is keeping the mag drive gear teeth from bottoming out in the drive gear. The gears have been treated with Rocol open gear grease and all of the other metal to metal surfaces have either been greased or oiled when I put the engine back together after painting.

Here is the engine running, please feel free to give me a diagnostic on what you think is causing the sound, Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew1971 Mon Oct 28 2019, 17:51

The only think of is it's the trolly look's it's been made of bent sheet metal so amplifying
the noise the engine making it louder then it is.
Andrew

Andrew1971
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Mon Oct 28 2019, 19:44

Andrew1971 wrote:The only think of is it's the trolly look's it's been made of bent sheet metal so amplifying
the noise the engine making it louder then it is.
Andrew

Um, it was not on this trolly when I heard it running before I purchased it (it was on a wooden one) so you may be on to something, the trolly is very well made though but it is all steel construction.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Tue Oct 29 2019, 21:22

Agree with whats been said above, it does sound like the noise is in sync with the crank/piston throw, whats your plans to deaden the steel,  could you bolt a peice of wood underneath out of sight, with the base fixing bolts to stiffen the steelwork,

I had to look real hard to see if the base really is metal, it looks like wood,

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by philipagri Wed Oct 30 2019, 13:47

Sounds a bit like my old Witte engine and others I have heard which I believe is due to the construction/setting of the air breather on the carburettor.
philipagri
philipagri

Back to top Go down

Post by chiefy Wed Oct 30 2019, 13:54

Maybe a piece of old conveayer belting or summat similar would help.
Regards,
Chiefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down