www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Painting engines

+5
ruston1942
Garak
georgineer
Woodsman
Jonboy
9 posters

Go down

Painting engines Empty Painting engines

Post by Jonboy Fri Jan 04 2019, 00:38

Hi again,
I wanted to know what make of paint you use to paint your engine.
I had a few tins of hammerite that I thought I could use, but it seems that is doesn’t gave a very high temperature resistance.
I have brought a tin of tractol paint that I can use in mid Brunswick green, to do my luster D in.

In a 2nd point about painting, what do you do with the inside of the water jacket on a lister to stop it rusting away? Is there a paint that is water proof and can do the high temp needed? I don’t want to paint a nice engine and then see a rusty hole where the water sits.

Any suggestions to either question?

Jonboy
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Painting engines Empty Re: Painting engines

Post by Woodsman Fri Jan 04 2019, 09:24

Stationary Engine Parts have some useful advice on painting and supply paint.

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Painting-Advice.html

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by georgineer Fri Jan 04 2019, 12:35

I would be loth to paint or otherwise coat the inside of a water jacket because once the water gets under the coating - and it will - the coating becomes another source of detritus to clog things up. Better in my opinion to add antifreeze to the cooling water; it has anti-corrosion properties as well as protecting against the cold.

George

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Garak Sat Jan 05 2019, 10:50

Jonboy wrote:Hi again,
In a 2nd point about painting, what do you do with the inside of the water jacket on a lister to stop it rusting away? Is there a paint that is water proof and can do the high temp needed? I don’t want to paint a nice engine and then see a rusty hole where the water sits.

A couple of squirts of oil into the hot water when the engine is up to temperature will coat the inside of the hopper when the water is drained.
Garak
Garak
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Painting engines Empty painting engines

Post by ruston1942 Wed Oct 09 2019, 18:21

Garak wrote:
Jonboy wrote:Hi again,

A couple of squirts of oil into the hot water when the engine is up to temperature will coat the inside of the hopper when the water is drained.

I find TEA BAGS do a great job in the hopper they leave a coating of Tanning on the jacket.
It looks a good brew when draining down but never tasted it as yet,but you could be the first.
John

ruston1942
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Wed Oct 09 2019, 20:36

Totally agree with tea bags, as suggested put them in the hopper and run the engine for the rally, the tannin will coat the hopper, preserved steam locomotive's use a similar substance to protect the inside of the boilers.

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by A Lister Sat Mar 28 2020, 14:51

If using tea bags in a Lister D hopper then put some suitably fine wire mesh over the bars at the bottom of the main hopper, or the tea bags could drop between them into the chamber below and be a right b*gger to get out again!

A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by maryalice Sat Mar 28 2020, 15:15

I hang muslin bags filled with tea bags in the hoppers of my Listers, saves fishing around trying to remove them.

Maryalice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat May 30 2020, 09:35

I put eggs in mine, can't stand tea and after a few minutes a nice hard boiled egg for dinner.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PetterAS Sat May 30 2020, 10:55

The use of tea bags in the hopper as a rust treatment is interesting. I have not seen this being done before. Do you see an oily coating on the inside of the hopper or does the liquid chemically react with the rust (is the inside black or blue/black after the tea treatment instead of the orange rust colour)? Chemicals such as phosphoric acid or tannic acid contained in proprietary rust treatments react with the iron oxide converting it to an insoluble black coating of iron phosphate or iron tannate respectively protecting the surface from rusting further. There is no tannic acid in tea but other tannins are present as mentioned above and possibly these are reacting with the rust in a similar way. Sorry to get distracted from the theme of the thread!

PetterAS
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down