www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye

3 posters

Go down

Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye Empty Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye

Post by georgineer Wed Oct 24 2018, 17:42

I'm restoring a baby 1 h.p. Tangye of about 1898 which at some time has been converted to HT coil and spark plug ignition - I presume the original would have been hot tube ignition. I have set the contact breaker gap to 15 thou (0.015") because that's what was used on my Morris Minor. Has anybody got any other suggestions, or a manufacturer's recommendation for the gap?

I'm planning to use a 25 thou gap for the spark plug for the same reason, unless anybody can come up with an alternative.

George

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye Empty Re: Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye

Post by Woodsman Thu Oct 25 2018, 09:53

Hi George,

Those settings seem a good start. Was that engine also known as a Pinkney?
Internal Fire museum may have more info on original configuration.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye Empty Re: Contact breaker & spark plug gaps for baby Tangye

Post by chiefy Wed Nov 21 2018, 12:26

Hi George,
I think like Woodsman that 12 to 15 thou is a safe gap to start with i am sure that if you have it timed right it will run although you cannot do better than the manufacturers gap size,best of luck finding the info.
Regards,Chiefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by georgineer Wed Nov 21 2018, 23:32

Thanks, Paul and Chiefy - it's nice to have my ideas confirmed, however tentatively. I'll follow up the Internal Fire idea.

Paul, the engine is indeed a 'Pinkney's Patent'. It has taken me a while to find out what Pinkney's patent was, but it turns out that it was for the speed regulator (governor) used on the small Tangye engines. The governor uses an adjustable spring and an inclined surface which throws the pecker out of engagement when the speed rises. I finally found a diagram, with an explanation, in volume 2 of The Gas, Petrol and Oil Engine by Clerk and Burls.

George

georgineer
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Thu Nov 22 2018, 10:13

Thanks for sharing the info George - that's what this forum is all about. Smile

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down