www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Fuel Or Head and valves?

3 posters

Go down

Fuel Or Head and valves? Empty Fuel Or Head and valves?

Post by harford2073 Fri Sep 16 2016, 19:02

I am going to be refurbing my first engine this winter for the first run at the allotment next year. My stationary engine experience is nil and my machanical skills are limited.
With all these old engines and all this modern fuel which way do i go?
Lead replacement or modernise the head and valves?
What have you done?
Thank you
Christian

Back to top Go down

Fuel Or Head and valves? Empty Re: Fuel Or Head and valves?

Post by kev Sat Sep 17 2016, 18:01

Hi Christian
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic and many theories  of impending doom were bandied about when lead was phased out of petrol. To my knowledge no one has had an engine damaged by the use of unleaded fuel, the engine speeds are too low and the engine has generally  such low power it's not a problem.
I run a howard  350 rotovator  on my allotment  and it works hard for its living it's powered by a kholer engine and I've run it on unleaded for the last eight years with no problems. So personally  I wouldn't worry

kev
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sun Sep 18 2016, 09:16

I agree with Kev. Tetraethyl lead was introduced to petrol in the 1920s to increase the octane rating and reduced pre-ignition - 'pinking' . It also served to lubricate the valves seats in engines with cast iron cylinders. Vintage engines with low rpm and infrequent short term use will be fine on 'out of the pump' fuel. The only issue I have found is that modern petrol has added ethanol which strips paint wonderfully if you have a leak in the fuel line.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harford2073 Sun Sep 18 2016, 21:03

That's it then. No change. Thank you both very much.
You mentioned your Howard Kev, then i thought i should've known better as my old Wolseley Titan is pre green and i have never given it a thought and it still goes well.
Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down