www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Storing an engine outside over the winter.

3 posters

Go down

Storing an engine outside over the winter. Empty Storing an engine outside over the winter.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26 2009, 07:23

Can anyone tell me the best things to do when storing engines outside over the winter. At present all my engines are kept in a shed but I need the space to work on other projects, so I was wondering what is the best things to do before I leave them out in the cold with a tarp. over them. I'm sure alot will be common sense but for anyone thats new to stationary engines a full list would be good for them.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Storing an engine outside over the winter. Empty Re: Storing an engine outside over the winter.

Post by JONESEY Wed Aug 26 2009, 09:57

Stu, give everything a good coat of thick oil use a paint brush.
Then cover them over with an old bed sheet [cotton no fancy nylon]
Then cover with Tarpolin or something simerler DO NOT cover with plastic sheet they will sweat and Rust Crying or Very sad
Then when you come to use them use some Degreaser engine inspection plates of oil insides and away you go for another year Smile
Chris
JONESEY
JONESEY
Admin

Back to top Go down

Storing an engine outside over the winter. Empty Re: Storing an engine outside over the winter.

Post by benz Wed Aug 26 2009, 13:11

Always good to take the magnetos off and store them in the airing cupboard.
Mike

benz
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26 2009, 14:40

Thanks for all the advice guys, only thing I found is I get a little surface rust inside the fuel tank when they stand, is it best to fill them with diesel? or any other suggestions.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lister John Wed Aug 26 2009, 16:53

stationary stu wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys, only thing I found is I get a little surface rust inside the fuel tank when they stand, is it best to fill them with diesel? or any other suggestions.

Stu.

fill them with red derv as this is cheaper!

make sure all water is drained completly!

I always leave chokes shut to prevent the damp entering the carb!

Keep them off the ground if you can.
Lister John
Lister John
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down