www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Norman T300 carb settings

2 posters

Go down

Norman T300 carb settings Empty Norman T300 carb settings

Post by Locknut Thu Sep 05 2019, 09:25

Hi Guys,
I had a problem with my norman's fuel tank ( dirt and leaks) and was lucky enough to find the right replacement.Unfortuneately in changing it over,due to my clumsyness I got dirt in the carb/jet etc.I stripped the carb off the engine including the throttle bits and pieces cleaned them up and replaced them - the problem was that I did not make a note of where the plate with the holes in that sits on top of the butterfly valve went! I am now having a problem in finding the right possition for the plate - there are a number of holes in it but it seems which ever hole I try it still doesnt work properly.
Is there an easy way of sorting this out?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.Thanks
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Norman T300 carb settings Empty Re: Norman T300 carb settings

Post by blue cat Tue Sep 10 2019, 12:06

I'm sure I sent you the details of setting up the carb/governor linkage some time ago.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Thu Sep 19 2019, 14:15

Hi blue cat,
Thanks for your reply - sorry for the delay ,life has a habit of getting in the way!
I have followed the instructions,but I must be doing something fundamentaly wrong and I dont know what!
When I turn the petrol on and fill the float chamber there are no drips - once I start turning the starting handle petrol starts to drip steadily from the base of the butterfly spindle,and the engine makes no attempt to fire.There is a good spark from both plugs but they appear dry.
What height should the fuel be in the jet carrier? and what possition should the main jet cap be in? High or low in the carb channel?
I would add that I have checked the timing and that is fine,the valves move as they should do,and there is good compression.
It is ,as the kids say, doing my head in!
Anyone any ideas please?
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Sat Sep 21 2019, 15:08

Hi Kev,

1) are you sure the throttle butterfly is in the open position when the engine is stopped ?

2) here is a picture showing the height of the jet carrier in the intake tube.
Norman T300 carb settings 100_7210
Ignore the position of the throttle spindle (this Solex carb is on a Norman marine engine).

3) the height of the fuel in the float chamber can be slightly adjusted by increasing/decreasing the thickness of fibre washers under the fuel cut off valve.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Mon Sep 23 2019, 08:31

Thanks for your reply.
I am not sure if the throttle butterfly is open when the engine is stopped but I will go and check - I can open the butterfly by moving the knob to the fast running possition - but I still cannot get the engine to fire!
Looking at your picture I think that I have my jet cap set too high.
I seem to remember reading a post on Fozzers which indicated that the fuel height in the jet carrier should be 3mm below the top of the carrier - is that correct?
Thank you.
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Mon Sep 23 2019, 21:42

OK, throttle butterfly to be checked.
If you adjust the jet cap don't screw it down too hard, as it can rupture the top of the cap and cause a tear in the thin brass of the cap.
I don't know what the level of the fuel should be. Maybe it is mentioned in the Solex handbook which can be referrenced here :
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/SolexCarbs/Solex2.htm

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Wed Sep 25 2019, 08:03

Thanks for your reply.I will report back when I have had the chance to check things out.
Kev,

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down