www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

New Pelapone 3438

2 posters

Go down

New Pelapone 3438 Empty New Pelapone 3438

Post by gnombicards Wed May 08 2019, 12:06

Hello all

I'm researching the operations and equipment of the Piel & Walney Gravel Co Ltd of Walney Island, Barrow-in-Furness. They had an interesting railway system which closed in 1963, but at the moment I'm trying to find out a bit more about the generating set they used. The place is remote and still has no mains electricity. A visitor in 1954 recorded that the generator was driven by a 3-cylinder petrol-paraffin engine by the New Pelapone Engine Co of Wakefield, serial number 3438.

Do New Pelapone records exist? I wondered if anyone on the Forum might be able to comment on engine number 3438. Can a build date be suggested, and possibly an original owner? If supplied new it may have been invoiced to either Mr C.W.Hunter (deceased 1926) or Mr W.Hunter, who were the owner-managers over the period 1924-48 that (I believe) new Pelapone were in Wakefield.

Over the years, P&WG and its predecessors had been keen buyers of second-hand railway equipment, so it's quite possible that the Pelapone generating set was second-hand as well. The 1954 visitor recorded a brand-new Petter on the site, but whether this was intended to replace the Pelapone isn't clear.

With thanks and best regards
Peter Holmes
Ulverston, Cumbria

gnombicards

Back to top Go down

New Pelapone 3438 Empty Re: New Pelapone 3438

Post by maryalice Wed May 08 2019, 21:27

Peter,

Contact Paul Evans at Internal Fire http://www.internalfire.com/ he has a vast amount of information on most makes of engines and has a straight six Pelapone and several small ones, allow time for a reply as this time of year he is very busy and gets loads of email requests.

MaryAlice

maryalice
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum