www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Villiers V Engine

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Villiers V Engine - Page 2 Empty Re: Villiers V Engine

Post by blue cat Wed Feb 13 2019, 20:29

I have no documentation on the  early style V carburettor, except that it is noted as a type V in Sizer's book and appears to be only fitted to the MK20 and Mk25 engines (also know as V type engines) built from 1941 onwards. The origin of this carb is uncertain, being different to anything else that Villiers used at the time. However, it does feature on most war time Mk20 & 25 engines. Some Mk20 & 25 engines also used the Zenith 24T-2 carb.

After WW2 it would seem that this carb was phased out over a period in favour of the annular float V10 carb (sometimes called the V carb but quite different in appearance being typical Villiers design), which was used on the whole range of Villiers 4-stroke stationary engines from Mk10 through to Mk25, although in the latter engines with a larger bore choke. This is noted in Browning's 1954 book where all the 4-stroke engines illustrationed have the V10 carb.  The V10 carb also known as the CM358 as this number is cast into the body.

The Mk40 is still referenced (Sizer) as using the V carb at this time, and also the Zenith 24T-2 carb.

Both sources are still refering to the V10 carb as the V carb during this period, and even when the V10 is phased out in favour of the B10 (and 10/1, 10/2 instruments), Sizer is still referring to this new carb as the VB10. So it is understandable that there is a certain amount of confusion concerning which actual carbs are in use at any given time.

It is notable that the V10 carbs are of more typical Villiers manufacture with annular floats (Villiers began making carbs  from the mid-1920s onwards when they bought the carburettor manufacturer Mills). As stated the origin of the actual V carb is uncertain, and it may not have been made by Villiers. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned JAP and there are similarities here, but did JAP actually make it ?? I don't know.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotstar5 Wed Feb 13 2019, 22:46

blue cat wrote: <snip> Both sources are still refering to the V10 carb as the V carb during this period, and even when the V10 is phased out in favour of the B10 (and 10/1, 10/2 instruments), Sizer is still referring to this new carb as the VB10. So it is understandable that there is a certain amount of confusion concerning which actual carbs are in use at any given time.

If you have the same copy of the Sizer book as I have it gets quite confusing as I think the list was laid out with an early word processing package so the columns don't always line up and it shows up where the "carb" column is next to the "comments" column so the V and B10 are sometimes joined up.

I got so frustrated trying to decipher it I put it all onto a spreadsheet to make it easier to read Very Happy

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Fri Feb 15 2019, 09:25

Many thanks for your insights gents.

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down