www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives

Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives

Post by 68jcb on Sun Jan 20 2019, 13:53

I have to Lister D's that both need complete strip down and refurb, both engines have dead mags/coils and need replacing/rewinding. I was wondering if anyone had used an alternative from 'Minimag'? The systems they have seem reasonably priced and I would imagine that they are reliable.
Coils rewinds are not cheap and in my opinion magneto's are/can be a little fragile.
Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
Cheers, Julian

68jcb
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty Re: Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives

Post by chiefy on Tue Jan 22 2019, 13:53

Hi Julien,
If finances are tight you could run with a battery and coil until you top the piggy bank up.
Regards,
Chiefy.

chiefy
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty Re: Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives

Post by Robotstar5 on Tue Jan 22 2019, 16:47

There was a Lister D at a show in SEM that used a metal spoon and wooden clothespeg as a set of CB points Very Happy

Stuart.
Robotstar5
Robotstar5
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Villiers on Tue Jan 22 2019, 18:14

Wico will fit.
Villiers
Villiers
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.rcoleplumbingservices.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat on Fri Jan 25 2019, 19:46

Wico A coil can be made to fit into a Lucas RS1.

blue cat
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty RE:Lucas RS1 and SR1 magneto altenatives

Post by 68jcb on Sat Jan 26 2019, 21:38

I cleaned all parts of the RS1 today, re-assembled and put a new condenser in. Have spark at the points, but very little spark on the lead.
I will use 12v coil for a time untill funds allow for a rewind.
Thanks for all your replies
Julian

68jcb

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat on Mon Jan 28 2019, 17:57

The condenser is supposed to prevent (excessive) sparking at the points. Some "new" condensers can be faulty.

Make sure the HT lead is not silicone. If you have a spark plug cap make sure it is not the resistive type, better still throw it away and fit a simple brass end.

Have you checked the HT resistance with a meter?

blue cat
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty RE:Lucas RS1 and SR1 magneto altenatives

Post by 68jcb on Tue Jan 29 2019, 21:06

Not checked with a meter yet, my son is an electrician and he's going to lend me his meter.

68jcb

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat on Thu Jan 31 2019, 19:34

Resistance reading for the HT part of the coil should be 4-6 k ohms. This doesn't gaurantee that it's a good coil only that it might be OK (after all it's probably 50-70 years old).

blue cat
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Lucas SR1 and RS1 magneto alternatives Empty Re': Lucas Sr1 and Rs1 magneto alternatives

Post by 68jcb on Thu Jan 31 2019, 20:39

Thanks for the info! As soon as this silly weather clears up I will venture out and get my sons meter. At least with this weather it does give me more of an oportunity to do some work on the engines!

68jcb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down