www.ukengineforum.net
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view every section, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Please help me identify my first engine

Go down

Please help me identify my first engine

Post by Dunce on Mon Oct 23 2017, 19:36

I hope someone may be able to help me, I am new to stationary engines - this being my first acquisition - and I would like some help identifiying what it is, and what is missing.

I have been on the lookout for a small stationary engine for a little while, and found this lurking with the lawnmowers at my local council dump today. I secured its release for the pricely sum of £1

I hope someone might be able to identify what it is, and what parts are missing - based on my knowledge of lawnmowers it lacks a fuel tank, carburettor and recoil starter at the very least. It appears to be a four-stroke engine, the oil is clean and the main body of it seems intact. its clearly sat around a while as there was a lot of oxidation on the ally bits, most of which came off with a stiff steel brush.

it seems to turn over fine, and has compression as I can feel the pressure release in the exhaust stroke if I hold my hand over the exhaust and turn the engine by hand.

All the markings it has are in the pictures below. From Googling '86-13 AM' it might be a JAP Model 5 as this looks similar to what I have in front of me. The other suggestion is that it might be a Villiers C12?

Are these a good engine for a beginner to repair/rebuild, and what is parts availability like? Here are some pictures of what is in front of me

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thanks in advance

Dunce

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help me identify my first engine

Post by Woodsman on Tue Nov 14 2017, 09:43

I'd guess at a JAP.
The AM may indicate it was once owned by the Air Ministry.
Nice little engine to start on - you'll may find that the magneto coil needs replacing. Carburetter you can probably pick on on e-bay. Try L&S Engineers for other bits. Best of luck.

Woodsman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down