www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison

+2
blue cat
tony RA
6 posters

Go down

PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison Empty PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison

Post by JohnC Wed Dec 09 2015, 19:30

I have had this generator for about 18 months now and have finally started working on it. It had not been run for about five years before that. There is no spark when turning the motor over. Checking the points they seem fine, almost new. They measure short circuit when open if I put a multimeter acros them. Removing the condenser and that was fine but still short across the points. Removing those and they are fine. The coil primary measures zero ohms while the secondary measures approx 18 kohms. Can anyone tell if these are way off or normal? I suspect they are way off but when compared to a modern ignition coil not too bad. The motor is a Villiers 507-H1 magneto driven. Also anyone know what carb type is used in case I need to replace gaskets?

John C

JohnC

Back to top Go down

PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison Empty Re: PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison

Post by Woodsman Thu Dec 10 2015, 17:37

Hi John

Still a newbie, but I've never come across a Villiers 507-H1. Any chance you could post a picture?

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison Empty Re: PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison

Post by tony RA Sat Dec 12 2015, 00:18

Hi this sounds more like a Briggs & Stratton to me Paul but have been wrong plenty of times before

tony RA
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by reiver Sat Dec 12 2015, 20:52

Hello
I am working on one of these sets just now. it has a Villiers B10/1 carburettor fitted.I found parts manual and service manual on free download somewhere on the net If that's any help,

reiver
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

Post by blue cat Mon Dec 14 2015, 13:34

Secondary (HT) coil at 18K ohms is way too high. Should be about 4k ohms. Secondary is suspect (typical Villiers).

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnC Sat Dec 19 2015, 10:09

Hi, I thought the coil was faulty, mainly because the primary measures too low. I have looked at new replacements costing about £60, would that be about right or a bit pricey? Tried to upload images but I am not sure it worked.

JohnC

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodsman Sat Dec 19 2015, 10:39

You can get cheaper Taiwanese copies but you will have to solder on a copper shim.

http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/villers-coil-long-type.html
https://www.feked.com/electrical/ignition-system/ignition-coil/page-2/

or with copper pad
http://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_18_52&products_id=28&enid=3vthbln4aphh6h0103ipqtc3j4

Woodsman
Admin

Back to top Go down

PE Battery charger made by A.C Morrison Empty pe battery charger

Post by reiver Sat Dec 19 2015, 16:51

Have you tried Jon cruse at the mower centre hailsham? he can be reasonably priced  for Villiers stuff

reiver

Back to top Go down

Post by woody Sun Dec 20 2015, 17:44

The primary winding is likely to be just a few ohms, which can be difficult to measure.

Try putting it in series with a 12v bulb, across a car battery, and measure the volts across the bulb and the volts across the bulb.

A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down