www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator

3 posters

Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator

Post by DeepBass9 Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:08

Here's my intro with some pics of my listeroid : http://www.stationaryengineforum.net/t8575-newbie-from-south-africa#66270

I have had the head reconditioned and the injector set. I just need to get a new head gasket next week and then I'll fire her up!

Here's the engine as I bought it:
Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Induna2

Reconn'ed head:

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator H1
Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator H2

Testing the injector:

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Squirt

For guys in South Africa, you can get parts for these engines from here : http://www.listerdiesels.co.za/

I'll pick up the head gasket next week and then the engine should run. Does anyone have the torque for the head and injector bolts?

Last edited by DeepBass9 on Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:16; edited 1 time in total

DeepBass9
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Air filter

Post by DeepBass9 Fri Jan 30 2015, 16:14

Purists will probably be horrified, but I have pulled the inside out of that oil bath filter and found a cylindrical cardboard filter that fits in there and will use that. Oil bath filters make too much mess, I had one on a Massey Ferguson 135 and I was never convinced it was effective, despite an amazing amount of crap finding its way into the oil.

DeepBass9
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Re: Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator

Post by callum12 Thu Feb 05 2015, 00:58

i've heard that listeroids vary greatly, in terms of engineering standard whats this one like?
callum

A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Induna

Post by DeepBass9 Thu Feb 05 2015, 04:00

Seems OK, its old and has been overhauled a few times so I'm sure any problems have been worked out.

So I got the head back from the engineering shop, got a new head gasket, put it all together again and it LIVES!

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Head

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Lives

Air filer upgrade:

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Airfilter

DeepBass9
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Thu Feb 05 2015, 14:59

Lovely to see Squire - a real win as I have been told by friends in SA that not many opportunities exist for restoring old stationary engines due to most being scrapped and parts hard to find.

I also like the ingenuity on the air - filter for the dusty conditions it may work in - very SA Smile

let us know how you get on.

best

Hamish

StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Parts?

Post by DeepBass9 Thu Feb 05 2015, 19:19

Actually the parts are quite easy to find, once you have found them. All of the bits and pieces are available for these lister/listeroids in Johannesburg, it just takes a trip downtown to find them. http://www.listerdiesels.co.za is the place to go, just south of the M2 for those who know the area. What I liked was on their shop front they have a sign that says : 'Parts and service for engines that rarely need parts and service". That philosophy I like!

In South Africa there is a saying that says "'n boer maak 'n plan", meaning that a farmer makes a plan, and there is an amazing amount of old equipment that is kept on the go with 'spoeg and plak, en bloudraad' (spit and stick and some galvanised wire).

I have learnt these things with time, despite having been born in Chelmsford......

There are many Listers driving water pumps, hammer mills and concrete mixers, just as they have been doing for may years. In the UK they seem to be curiosities, but here we actually use them still...

DeepBass9
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Empty Ready to go off grid

Post by DeepBass9 Tue Jun 09 2015, 14:55

Finally, engine installed, generator working, solar panels up and will be off grid by the weekend.

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Ld

Induna Listeroid 8/1 generator Light

DeepBass9
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down