www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Crossley VOSE6 No 113965

2 posters

Go down

Crossley VOSE6  No 113965 Empty Crossley VOSE6 No 113965

Post by Darryl Ovens Sat Jul 19 2014, 06:46

Hi all,
I bought this Crossley VOSE6 No 113965 6/7 bhp at 650 rpm engine up to a year ago but only just recently got it home due to storage issues and my trailer being “occupied”.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have a little experience with Diesels and Hot tube engines, but not hot bulb 2 stroke diesels and want to get familiar with them. I realise the only real way is usually the hard way, but as this engine should be in good condition having been restored by a late friend some years ago, and done very little running since. Most likely way too little, as recently, it wouldn't start immediately for someone else whom knows them well.
I've been surprised how little I could find on the net about these engines, as they are not that uncommon, (I can think of two others around here, off the top of my head).

They have the type of fuel pump where a “spill” valve is opened at the end of injection, the timing of this being controlled by a wedge in the “spill” valve “tappet”. The position of the wedge is adjusted by the governor to control the amount of fuel delivered on each stroke.
This model is like a small single cylinder version of some of the large marine Sulzers, in that it has a charging cylinder that supplies air to scavenge the cylinder. I have forgotten if this has it's own crank or is somehow operated from the power cylinder. I have a feeling there is a link to the power cylinder but short of opening it up (which I would like to avoid if possible), a cross-section(s) would be great both for me and for signage purposes.

For the signage it would be great to have a year. The friend put it at 1919, (However I have a suspicion this may be a patent date), so it would be great to confirm it.
Plus I would like to check what would be a suitable equivalent to Crossley “O” oil and an indication of the lubrication system and service requirements. Especially any traps for the uninitiated.

Cheers

Darryl Ovens

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Crossley VOSE6  No 113965 Empty Re: Crossley VOSE6 No 113965

Post by blue cat Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:49

I think you can get an instruction book for this from the Anson museum.

blue cat
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Crossley VOSE6  No 113965 Empty Re: Crossley VOSE6 No 113965

Post by Darryl Ovens Sun Jul 20 2014, 22:44

Ok thanks, Will look into that.

Cheers
Darryl

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert