www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Bamford Bruiser

+2
kevjhnsn
Locknut
6 posters

Go down

Bamford Bruiser Empty Bamford Bruiser

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:24

Hi, I have just got a H Bamford Bruiser (corn mill). It is a Nice Bit of machinery with lots off original Paint and even some transfers. Saying that there is some bits missing and a little bit of damage. Will get some pictures off the transfer later this week.

We came across it after finding one in a field and asking the owner if he would be interested in selling it, he unfortunately said no as it had too much sentimental value but he did now were there was another one! (the one that we got)

Hope to have it running off the Lister L. Don't suppose anyone nows the rough weight(reckon 3/4 ton) and anyone nows the rough year of manufacter?

here's some pics of the one in the field...

Bamford Bruiser 12433471315_95e34f4cfe
Bamford Bruiser In a Field by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12433481505_c1e867c9c0
Bamford Bruiser In a Field by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

And the one that I got..

Bamford Bruiser 12568927303_d42acc36cb
Bamford Bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12569276934_54ea595bc2
Damage on the Bamford Bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12568917943_28c4b270b1
Bamford Bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Admin

Back to top Go down

Bamford Bruiser Empty Re: Bamford Bruiser

Post by Locknut Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:57

Hi.
Thats a nice machine you have got yourself there - it looks like a combined roller and grinder in the one machine - is that right? It will certainly make a good restoration project for you!
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:05

Hi cheers kev, that's what we thought, as for restoring it, it will get an oily rag restoration

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Locknut Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:17

Hi,
What are you going to use it for? Grinding corn,rolling barley/oats?
As to the weight - its difficult to judge from photos but being a combined machine I would say that it is at least 1/2 a ton - certainly not something you could put over your shoulder and walk away with!!
Kev.

Locknut
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Feb 16 2014, 19:37

TBH, don't know yet!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Thu Feb 20 2014, 22:56

Hi folks, Started work on the Bruiser today. Got more done than I thought I would but Hit a Hurdle which I will explain later on.

Started by just wanting to clean out the top which as you can see In the top picture. Then after about 15 minutes got it looking quite reasonable as you can see in picture 2. I was using a scraper too move the mossy stuff and was taking great care so I didn't damage the pinstripping.

Bamford Bruiser 12664296034_fa9eb9653f
Dirty by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12663962463_f0944a4ccc
Clean by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

This is the amount of rubbish that came out of the hopper,

Bamford Bruiser 12663803745_7dc2d02194
Rubbish from top of bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Then  I focussed my attention to the flour chute which took twice as long as expected (which wouldn't have happened if I had think) it was held on by some bale twine which I took off and couldn't understand why it wouldn't come off. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ***LOOK AT PHOTO***Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Bamford Bruiser 12664253054_239fb588ed
This is what stopped me!!! by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Afteer that I had a go at the speed mill Part. I got the Outer casing (which has a big chunk missing) off no bother but my luck ended there as there is a big cog in side which I can't see any other way of getting off other than using as puller. off Corse none of my pullers fitt Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes So tommorows job will be to make a puller for it.

Bamford Bruiser 12663762475_f4697399b5
Innards Of the Bamforsd bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12663885743_62f65e42ec
Damage on Bamford bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12663780385_26a464b1d0
Bamford Bruiser Damage by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12664240464_fc719b6f98
Working on Bamford Bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12663793215_c789437d38
Flour Shute by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

even had the original working instructions on  both sides of the hopper!

Bamford Bruiser 12663670945_0eb251ac57
Original Working Instructions ona Bamford Bruiser by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Feb 20 2014, 23:49

i have a couple of these in storage were working when i putthem away ,and really needing to go and dig them out ,as its a shame for them to be unused as having stationary engines big enough to use them again since selling off my restored rally tractors 10-15 yrs ago ,how time flys
they were both just oiled up as banfords swaffler blues seams to last the years well ,but will see when i dig them out when i have a house not a hovvell to live in  Mad 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Feb 21 2014, 00:43

kev, they are quite rare apparently up here in Scotland as bentall had the main "contract" for bruisers and such like!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Fri Feb 21 2014, 03:25

Lewis MacRae wrote:kev, they are quite rare apparently up here in Scotland as bentall had the main "contract" for bruisers and such like!

and they were made in my area well 30 miles from me in uttoxeter,staffordshire jcb plant as there know today j.c.bamfords and co ltd
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Fri Feb 21 2014, 08:43

[quote="kevjhnsn"]plant as there know today j.c.bamfords and co ltd
kev[/quote]

Think you will find JCB and H Bamford have nothing in common, Bamfords did not become JCB and as far as I know JCB has nothing to do with Bamford.

As for that "big cog" Lewis, that is the end plate of the mill part, to remove that you do not need a big puller as undoing the nut on the center should have that off easy, if it doesn't come off then leave it, as all you will see after that will be the grinding plates.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Fri Feb 21 2014, 08:51

Villiers wrote:
kevjhnsn wrote:plant as there know today j.c.bamfords and co ltd
kev

Think you will find JCB and H Bamford have nothing in common, Bamfords did not become JCB and as far as I know JCB has nothing to do with Bamford.

As for that "big cog""big cog" Lewis, that is the end plate of the mill part, to remove that you do not need a big puller as undoing the nut on the center should have that off easy, if it doesn't come off then leave it, as all you will see after that will be the grinding plates.

Couldent remember the name for It! LOL

As for getting it off I undid the big nut and it still wouldent come off, so that was why I was going to try the puller. Also I waned to clean in behind it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Bamford Bruiser Empty Bamford bruiser parts

Post by misterengine1932 Fri Feb 21 2014, 20:23

Good evening Lewis, your corn mill is as has already been mentioned, a Bamford combined roller & grinding mill, there would have been a division in the hoper to seperate two different grains if required. The weight of it will certainly be getting in the regions of 1/2 ton, I have several catalogues but none of them list the total mill weight I'm afraid.As Villiers correctly stated, the nut, once removed will then let the assembly to be removed, however they will be very tight to remove and if your'e not careful, they can break. The part that you can see after the nut is the revolving cone, behind this will be the inside cracker, then the pair of grindong plates, then the outside cracker, before the fixed cone plate. I have several bamford catalogues/parts books, the oldest being 1907, the mills are listed in this catalogue and also in a 1953 parts book, so the age will be hard to assertain really.One thing that is puzzling me though  is as to which model it is, I can't quite make out the casting number on the front cover, it looks like 0HC, can you just check please, as none of my books list a OHC as a combined mill, only the normal grinding type, although this may have been changed over the years as they are both the same.
I can photocopy the parts book for you, if you PM me I can send you photos of the lists e.t.c which will give you H.P & R.P.M ratings prices e.t.c, I can send the pics to your e-mail, as yet, I haven't mastered the art of loading pics here on the site.
To correct Kev, there is a link between JCB and Bamfords, Joeseph Cyril Bamford was brother to Richard Bamford, who anyone owning Bamford machinery, will know, was a super man helping us with the history of our engines. Joe actually worked for Alfred Herbert tool makers of Coventry after leaving college, he joined the family firm in 1938 but was called up into the RAF in ww2. He returned home in 1944 and joined english electric , developing welding equipment until gojng back in the family company. His uncle Henry released him though in 1945, so he rented a lock up and set up his own company making trailers in October 1945, in 1948, he was the first person to make and sell a hydralic tipping trailer, and in 1957, launched his "Hydra diggar", from then on he never looked back.He was born 21 june 1916 and died 1st March 2001. look forward to seeing the mill finished, I have some in the collection, interestingly though, I have a Bentall No 4 which is the same size as my No 2 c bamford, and apart from the hopper casting bracket, all the rest is exactly the same, this makes me wonder who made the castings in the first place, they do grind very well and will cause interest at the shows, many thanks regards, Ralph. Very Happy
misterengine1932
misterengine1932
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:35

I would say it was a No4C going by the size.

Sold my No7, was a bit big.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:57

Villiers wrote:I would say it was a No4C going by the size.

Sold my No7, was a bit big.

it was a 4c I thought it was.

DO you have any pics of your no7?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sat Feb 22 2014, 10:00

Not now no, that was a big lump of iron that was.
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sat Feb 22 2014, 22:09

Done a bit more today, got crankshaft (if you can call it that) out and the hopper off also started oiling up some of the bits. hope to have it out at a rally in may. Measured the trailer up today and the bruiser and Lister L will fit!

Bamford Bruiser 12705419123_d4f8a79588
Bamford Bruiser Parts by LewizMacRae, on Flickr

Bamford Bruiser 12705218995_2c3fb8a7f0

Bamford Bruiser 12705705124_8f90bd179c

Bamford Bruiser 12705244185_e8f09eb860

Bamford Bruiser 12705259185_4b2bce0230

Lewis

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Appletop Sun Feb 23 2014, 08:40

Will look good on the L. Shame the casting over the plates has a lump out, because of that you can't use that end, still be able to use the rollers though, that will make the L bark!!!
Appletop
Appletop
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Lewis MacRae Sun Feb 23 2014, 09:06

We're thinking bout getting it repaired but as u say for the mean time
It can just be the rollers.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Bamford Bruiser Empty bamford mill

Post by misterengine1932 Wed Mar 05 2014, 22:42

hi Lewis, just to let you know that I have sent a pm to you (hopefully) with spec details for you, let me know if you get it mate, thanks, Ralph.
misterengine1932
misterengine1932
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by marknva Fri Mar 07 2014, 07:42

Looks great its looks about the same condition I bought mine in. Ive noticed the end grind plate is broken in the same place as mine  Sad  and ive got given a spare and it broken in the same place but a very nice agricultural welded has offered to repair mine foc but I must by the rods which I can't argue at

marknva
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down