www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Trolley Building

+2
matt86
Gary.B
6 posters

Go down

Trolley Building Empty Trolley Building

Post by Gary.B Wed Jul 03 2013, 21:32

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be attempting to build a new trolley for my Ruston PT over the next couple of weeks. Do you have any tips or points to be considered and maybe mistakes you've made in the past or things that should be avoided?

Thank you
Gary

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Trolley Building Empty Re: Trolley Building

Post by matt86 Wed Jul 03 2013, 21:35

Gary.B wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm going to be attempting to build a new trolley for my Ruston PT over the next couple of weeks. Do you have any tips or points to be considered and maybe mistakes you've made in the past or things that should be avoided?

Thank you
Gary

building out of wood or steel ?

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Wed Jul 03 2013, 21:50

Sorry, I have some 70mm x 70mm hardwood.
Thanks.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Wed Jul 03 2013, 22:03

Gary.B wrote:Sorry, I have some 70mm x 70mm hardwood.
Thanks.

great start hardwood , soft wood is useless for joining ....

Make sure you mark your joints tight and cut your outer cuts and sevral inbetween so when you chisel smaller chips come out rather than bigger ones causing too much to be removed.... thats if you are joining it as you could use coach bolts and coach screws ....

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Wed Jul 03 2013, 22:31

Here's one I made for the Wolseley am using the same sort of design for my PT, flywheel will be positioned off the side, only words of advice is measure twice cut once lol

Trolley Building P5210010

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jul 04 2013, 01:47

dont bolt the cross members, in the way of the bolts for base holes for the engine:oops: Embarassed 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:15

Abes wrote:Here's one I made for the Wolseley am using the same sort of design for my PT, flywheel will be positioned off the side, only words of advice is measure twice cut once lol

Trolley Building P5210010

Nice job, I was wondering whether it was necessary to offset the axles because of the weight of the flywheel off one side might make it unstable?

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:16

kevjhnsn wrote:dont bolt the cross members, in the way of the bolts for  base holes for the engine:oops: Embarassed 
kev

Yeah I'll bare that in mind.Smile 
Cheers

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Jul 04 2013, 17:37

Here is my Ruston PT on its trolley that I made for it, only a very simple trolley but I think it looks the nuts

Trolley Building P50600131

For that sort of size engine I always use 3x3 for the main bearers, and 2x3 for the crosspieces, putting a nice big chamfer on the ends of the crosspieces always looks nicer I think, I always try to find a set of 4 matching wheels when I can!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jul 04 2013, 18:30

Matth92 wrote:Here is my Ruston PT on its trolley that I made for it, only a very simple trolley but I think it looks the nuts

For that sort of size engine I always use 3x3 for the main bearers, and 2x3 for the crosspieces, putting a nice big chamfer on the ends of the crosspieces always looks nicer I think, I always try to find a set of 4 matching wheels when I can!

matt i wonder why all the prices of 3x3 fence posts have been going up !Laughing Laughing 

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Thu Jul 04 2013, 18:33

Nice set up, I have 3 x 3 so that's sorted, how have you attached the axles? I've been searching for cast wheels, no luck so far.

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jul 04 2013, 18:37

Gary.B wrote:Nice set up, I have 3 x 3 so that's sorted, how have you attached the axles? I've been searching for cast wheels, no luck so far.

i have got some up for grabs but your a tad far unless you dont mind paying for postage via courier ???

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Jul 04 2013, 20:53

matt86 wrote:
Matth92 wrote:Here is my Ruston PT on its trolley that I made for it, only a very simple trolley but I think it looks the nuts

matt i wonder why all the prices of 3x3 fence posts have been going up !Laughing Laughing 

matt

Nah Matt, the fat man gave me loads of bits of it last year! got a lifetime supply!

I usually make my axles out of solid round bar, and have 2 tabs welded on with 2 holes in each so you can bolt/coach screw the axles to the crosspieces, I usually just use coach screws these days cos Im lazy

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Thu Jul 04 2013, 22:02

matt86 wrote:
Gary.B wrote:Nice set up, I have 3 x 3 so that's sorted, how have you attached the axles? I've been searching for cast wheels, no luck so far.

i have got some up for grabs but your a tad far unless you dont mind paying for postage via courier ???

matt

Thanks Matt I'll try and get some locally, it cost about £70 to get a pallet sent up here. Shocked 

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Matth92 Thu Jul 04 2013, 22:17

Gary.B wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt

Thanks Matt I'll try and get some locally, it cost about £70 to get a pallet sent up here. Shocked 

Youll find some, 8 inch ones like mine look about the right scale for a PT, but they are quite hard to find!

Matth92
Matth92
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Thu Jul 04 2013, 23:17

Gary.B wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt

would not have to pallet them , box them up and use my hermes would be around 30 i think

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Sun Jul 07 2013, 08:49

matt86 wrote:
Gary.B wrote:
matt86 wrote:

matt

would not have to pallet them , box them up and use my hermes would be around 30 i think

matt

Thanks Matt I'll bare that in mind, I've put the feelers out locally so hopefully I'll get something turn up soon. The wood is arriving on Thursday so I'll draw up some plans today and then crack straight on with it, need to get her out of that smoky garage. Smile 

Gary

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismac Mon Aug 12 2013, 22:29

Hows things, have you got the trolley made yet!!.

Chris

chrismac
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary.B Tue Aug 13 2013, 07:39

chrismac wrote:Hows things, have you got the trolley made yet!!.

Chris
Not yet Chris, I think I'll wait for the dark evenings to set in. Smile 

Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down