www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad

+5
billypurves
Biggusdannus
matt86
Abes
steve w
9 posters

Go down

need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad Empty need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad

Post by clare1010 Mon Jul 01 2013, 11:22

Hi guys and girls iv just done up a lister d and loved geting my hands dirty but my pink boilersute dident go down so well the liserD was defo a good place to start,
Any way i have a another engine to do up over winter which was also my dads it was in a chest in bits when he got it and he rebuilt it but it never run right,
it was made in the U.S.A Make field brundige sold to Mclouds in Canada and then sold as a 1914 Mcloud open crank its 1.1/2 hp with horse shoe mag which needs looking at Shocked  
At time of him buying this engine the history wasnt much but it was said only four to be known in Uk is this info still right? iv ask around looked on internet sites with not much luck allso asked at some rallys iv been too the responce has been a few eyebrows raised and some very blank faces so im thinking it must be rare any help or info or if one of you guys owns one and can give me some tips for my over winter restoration would be more then welcome.
sadly my dad has been gone 13 years this year his dream was to take this engine to blanford a big 5 day rally but they only like rare things hence having this engine sadly he never did get to go as the piging engine never run right (in his words lol) its 100 years old next year so im hoping to get it all up an running for its 100 birthday and do blanford in memmory of my dad next year.

Last edited by clare1010 on Mon Jul 01 2013, 22:31; edited 3 times in total
clare1010
clare1010
I really need to post more

Back to top Go down

need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad Empty Re: need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad

Post by steve w Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:41

welcome to the forum - your in the right place to have it running soon, lots of the members go well beyond just help to offer advice - I have a fuller and Johnson that wasn't running right but with the forums help it is a great runner.

you will have to post some pics of the engine it sounds nice, steve.
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad Empty Re: need to find info on engine iv inherited from my Dad

Post by kevjhnsn Mon Jul 01 2013, 17:25

hi there clare
and a very warm welcome to the forum from me
hope you enjoy on here with all the other engine nutters Very Happy 
nice to here from a lady engine collector ,few and far between but theres a few on here lurking
as for your dads chest box engine ???????
but im new to the american opencrank engine scene just added 2 to my collection over the last 12 mnths
but if you could post some pics from all angles of the engine
sure someone on here will know somthing of use about it
as with many early american engines ,one manufactor but many other brand names and models added to the same engine
or even shared parts with each other ect ect the likes of amanco ,associated ,economy ,united, bradford have the hole engine or just some castings all in common with each other for example
then theres stover ,empire, rock island engine all one engine with 3 makers names ect
sure the likes of bill or jonesey will know somthing as there into the rarer usa engines ect
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Abes Mon Jul 01 2013, 21:01

Hi and welcome to the forum, the man you want to get intouch with is Jonesey sure he could shed some light on it and if he cant he will know someone who does States side

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] A stationary engine is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you get that nice warm feeling: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Abes
Abes
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Mon Jul 01 2013, 21:50

clare1010 wrote:Hi guys and girls iv just done up a lister d and loved geting my hands dirty but my pink boilersute dident go down so well its defo a good place to start,
Any way i have a another engine to do up over winter which was also my dads it was in a chest in bits when he got it and he rebuilt it but it never run right,
it was made in the U.S.A Make field brundige sold to Mclouds in Canada and then sold as a 1914 Mcloud open crank its 1.1/2 hp with horse shoe mag which needs looking at Shocked  
At time of him buying this engine the history wasnt much but it was said only four to be known in Uk is this info still right? iv ask around looked on internet sites with not much luck allso asked at some rallys iv been too the responce has been a few eyebrows raised and some very blank faces so im thinking it must be rear any help or info or if one of you guys owns one and can give me some tips for my over winter restoration would be more then welcome.
sadly my dad has been gone 13 years this year his dream was to take this engine to blanford a big 5 day rally but thay only like rare things hence having this engine sadly he never did get to go as the piging engine never run right (in his words lol) its 100 years old next year so im hopeing to get it all up an running for its 100 birthday and do blanford in memmory of my dad next year.

Its not the case having rare things for GDSF

Il be there this year with a Lister A type and a bamford cake breaker . They like a nice display but not necessary a rare engine .

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Mon Jul 01 2013, 21:59

Hi Clare and welcome.  Your engine was made by Nelson Bros and information by looking for Nelson Bros. will be easier to find.

As has already been said if you can post a picture or two it would help. Also the engine number and Horse Power of the engine would also make it easier to identify and get smoke coming from it quicker.

As for numbers, on Nelson engines there does seem to be a few in the UK now....I probably looked at a dozen last weekend at Astle under various guises,,Monarch,Sattley etc.

BUT numbers mean nothing it is still a nice engine and fairly rare in the UK and well worth restoring especially for you.

Last edited by billypurves on Mon Jul 01 2013, 22:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by clare1010 Mon Jul 01 2013, 23:29

Very Happy  Thank you all for you warm welcomes and info so far p.s mat it nice to know about GDSF id love to see some pics of you display for some hints for myself Smile 
here are some pics hope it helps some and hope to here from you guys soon cheers 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
clare1010
clare1010

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 03:37

thats a fine looking engine you have there
the ignitor system does look  nelson bros model N  style to me from one i worked on a month back with a good old mate,
as bill perves says in above post about he thinks it from the "nelson" bros factory
just the carb set up dont ring any bells with me ,it looks like it maybe a petrol/kerosene engine from the carb, but i maybe wrong on this one,
more knowlogable members will be jumping in before to long again to assist were they can
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clare1010 Tue Jul 02 2013, 13:29

Thanks kev 👍   for more of you input and yes it is a petrol angine thats abit of info i lefted  out sorry im still abit green on details Laughing  as for the carb i think that was one of my dads ongoing problems which he didnt get round to sorting so you may have something there. :chin: 
If you could point some more knowlogable people my way that would be great but so far so good as all this info has helped lots allready.
Will recommend this sit to others on my journey. 👍
clare1010
clare1010

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 14:24

clare1010 wrote:Thanks kev 👍   for more of you input and yes it is a petrol angine thats abit of info i lefted  out sorry im still abit green on details Laughing  as for the carb i think that was one of my dads ongoing problems which he didnt get round to sorting so you may have something there. :chin: 
If you could point some more knowlogable people my way that would be great but so far so good as all this info has helped lots allready.
Will recommend this sit to others on my journey. 👍

👍 👍 

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggusdannus Tue Jul 02 2013, 15:57

Hi Clare, where abouts in cornwall are you? I live in Looe Smile 
Biggusdannus
Biggusdannus
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by billypurves Tue Jul 02 2013, 16:06

On seeing pictures of the engine I tend to agree with you as it seems more like a pre Nelson engine for Mac Cleod and could possibly be Field Brundage.

Mac Cleod never made an engine but bought in engines from the USA and shipped them to Canada and rebadged them for sale in their Hardware stores primarily in Western Canada.

Perhaps a post on an American forum will bring you more knowledge about the engine.
billypurves
billypurves
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Tue Jul 02 2013, 16:25

billypurves wrote:   On seeing pictures of the engine I tend to agree with you as it seems more like a pre Nelson engine for Mac Cleod and could possibly be Field Brundage.

Mac Cleod never made an engine but bought in engines from the USA and shipped them to Canada and rebadged them for sale in their Hardware stores primarily in Western Canada.

Perhaps a post on an American forum will bring you more knowledge about the engine.
bill
you have pm mate
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clare1010 Wed Jul 03 2013, 09:08

Thanks bill on your comment im thinking this is right too just would be nice to know how many there are over here and maybe some hints and tips when i do a strip down on the old girl it will be fun though i cant what never wanted winter to come round so quick lol'

Last edited by clare1010 on Mon Jul 08 2013, 13:27; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Wed Jul 03 2013, 13:04

clare
sounds like your search trail is warming up for you now
hope to see your progress over the winter months,
or sooner if your like us lot Very Happy 
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clare1010 Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:01

Cheers kev and i know what you mean im sooo tempted to tinker Laughing  but i need to get myself sorted for my first rally with my fathful ListerD that i did a full restoration on .....oooh and make the handle for the trolley i built :lol:hopeing to get that done this week im a bit scared :affraid:if im honest not done a rally on my own before and the last one i went to was with my daddy like 25 years ago affraid 
I can post some pic of my restoration on the listerD Smile i think there is another forum for that ill post them there.

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjhnsn Thu Jul 04 2013, 02:29

clare
were a friendly help full bunch on the fields too
dont strugle and do with out theres always someone a word away Very Happy 
we tend to help more to bite in the stationary lines
hope you get your trolley finish and you have a safe jurney there and bak
dont forget your kettle and brewing up stuff the rest we can do with out,
till we get home again usually
kev

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Darryl Ovens Wed Dec 04 2013, 22:27

Hi Clare,

Looks like nice engine.  I don't know them well but is that original paint on the engine?  
If it is, you may want to consider preserving that as well.
Engines in their "original clothes" are very rare and hard to come by.

The "D" looks really nice.

Good on you

Cheers
Darryl

Darryl Ovens
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by StewartH Fri Dec 06 2013, 16:15

Hi Clare,

I have to say I do like these kind of restoration stories mixed with a little emotion because of fond memories - it makes the whole knuckle scrapping journey so much sweeter! - I'm enjoying the thread and look forward to following it to see how it all turns out - best of british luck (although you have a fine Yanky engine!) and as the good people here have already pointed out get yourself on a USA based site for particular expertise....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is one where the people are friendly (well they were to me!)

Best

Hamish
StewartH
StewartH
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down