www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

A few pictures of my favorite engines

+2
steve w
mo3mini
6 posters

Go down

A few pictures of my favorite engines  Empty A few pictures of my favorite engines

Post by mo3mini Mon Jan 07 2013, 23:28

Hi all, here be a few pictures of some of my 'pride and joys' although if im honest all my engines whether they are a humble Suffolk or the Maytag twin they are all pride and joys in a way.

But my Lister D has become my favorite of the bunch, since adjusting the timing and making a new trolley she's happy as a pig in mud. Happily starts first swing and runs like a dream.. in working clothes condition. But the engine has been constructed from odds and ends. Most likely a second hand bottom end during her farm life.

A few pictures of my favorite engines  DSCF9741

Its a 1945 engine, originally sold to Ransomes. Whom most likely fitted the engine to one of their farm applications..

My second 'pride and joy' has to be the Maytag 72..

A few pictures of my favorite engines  DSCF1466-1

Having seen my first Maytag on youtube i knew I had to have one, some research dampened my spirits of finding one in the UK. But one appeared on ebay, deal done and the dream engine collected. Its a 1946 Twin. I think its an older restoration as there isn't any signs of original decals. It could do with new piston rings and new front and back bearings.

The third favorite is a 1945 Wolseley WD2

A few pictures of my favorite engines  DSCF1215

Purchased on the 1st Jan 2012 in a very very sorry state and restored during the year, my first restoration of a larger stationary engine. Id like to say it went smoothly, but that would be a lie lol the engine had a very worn bore. A 20+ piston had then been rammed into the standard sized 3" bore which made it very hard to turn over. A standard sized piston was fitted, she was painted in Ruston and Hornsby Maroon (a lot more work was done during those two steps lol) and she was finally finished in August.

Hope you like the engines.. hopefully they'll be shown at a few shows this year.

Dan

mo3mini
mo3mini
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

A few pictures of my favorite engines  Empty Re: A few pictures of my favorite engines

Post by steve w Tue Jan 08 2013, 08:03

Thanks for sharing Dan, some smart engines, thats a strange item on the bottom of the List D carb?
steve w
steve w
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

A few pictures of my favorite engines  Empty Re: A few pictures of my favorite engines

Post by Ianhw77k Tue Jan 08 2013, 09:12

Nice engines. Funny how you rate your Lister D over your Wolseley. I've had both and TBH I always preferred the Wolseley, but we're all different I suppose (as are our engines).
Love the Maytag though, I've wanted one for a while now but don't fancy my chances of finding one over here.
Ianhw77k
Ianhw77k
A credit to the forum
A credit to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 08 2013, 09:34

nice engines Dan, Wolseley looks rather shiny does it run well? I do prefer a lister D in ways and a Wolseley in other ways. lister D is a more of a steady ploder, my wd2 used to eat spark plugs, even when was on load for some reason Shocked

I wouldn't mind a lister D shaftie.

matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mo3mini Tue Jan 08 2013, 09:42

Thanks all Smile

The Lister was my first stationary engine, which probably gives it a special place... the WD is a nice engine. But I just can't get past its miss fire. Just can't get the float adjusted correctly. Other then that its a great little engine and runs nicely.

The Lister D is fitted with an original air filter. An optional extra sold by Lister if the engine was going to work in dusty conditions. Not sure if its original to the engine its self. As the carb is also painted a different colour to the engine lol But it is a Lister D part Smile

Cheers, Dan
mo3mini
mo3mini
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by mo3mini Tue Jan 08 2013, 09:52

Crikey almost forgot the washing machine! Another must have after seeing them on youtube.. who wouldn't want a petrol powered washing machine!? haha

A few pictures of my favorite engines  DSCF1664

Sadly no single cylinder hit and miss Maytag engine to go with it. But the Brook motor does a decent job. Its a 1927 machine. Although I don't want to put the model 72 twin under the washer, mainly because the age difference and for originality it wouldn't be correct, the washing machine also weighs a ton and wouldn't fit in the car. So dampens plans to take the engine to shows in my car.

In saying that it does run the washing machine quite well..

A few pictures of my favorite engines  DSCF1679

Dan
mo3mini
mo3mini
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone Tue Jan 08 2013, 14:00

Now there's a man after my own heart, a Maytag & a washing machine! Both are on my wishlist. Nice little collection of favourites, I'm guessing there's a lot more in the background & that these are just your favourites.

I would love to see a fully working petrol powered washing machine in a stationary engine line-up. Even better I would love it to be mine. Hope you find a suitable engine for it some day.

If I win the lottery I'll import a few from America. Very Happy
(along with a few Saxons, just to annoy Mike lol! )

The name's Matt, but call me Nutts if you like, there's already enough Matt's about.
nutgone
nutgone
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by matt86 Tue Jan 08 2013, 15:03

mo3mini wrote:Thanks all Smile

The Lister was my first stationary engine, which probably gives it a special place... the WD is a nice engine. But I just can't get past its miss fire. Just can't get the float adjusted correctly. Other then that its a great little engine and runs nicely.

The Lister D is fitted with an original air filter. An optional extra sold by Lister if the engine was going to work in dusty conditions. Not sure if its original to the engine its self. As the carb is also painted a different colour to the engine lol But it is a Lister D part Smile

Cheers, Dan

with the wd2 run it 1or 2 clicks on choke if not working it. I did that with mine, ran but better

Matt
matt86
matt86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 16:30

My favorite is the Maytag twin, you were lucky to find one on ebay the only one I've seen for sale on there was pulled off before the end so I couldn't bid on it, think it was from the Bristol Area.

Here's a single cylinder Maytag fitted to a washing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdL3avfc-sQ

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mo3mini Thu Jan 10 2013, 17:27

stationary stu wrote:My favorite is the Maytag twin, you were lucky to find one on ebay the only one I've seen for sale on there was pulled off before the end so I couldn't bid on it, think it was from the Bristol Area.

Here's a single cylinder Maytag fitted to a washing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdL3avfc-sQ

Stu.

Hi Stu.. thanks. I purchased both the Maytag and the washing machine from ebay last year. The engine was bought in June. And the Maytag washing machine was bought in December.

I did see a hit and miss Maytag on ebay. But I had just spent my money on the 72 twin. So couldn't bid on that.. can't win em all Crying or Very sad

Cheers, Dan
mo3mini
mo3mini
Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11 2013, 12:42

Dan my wife is American and I keep thinking about going across the pond and getting a Maytag, stripping it and putting it in my case to bring back to the UK but Maytags in the States are bringing good money at present only good thing is the exchange rates are in our favour at present. Very Happy
Maybe the next time I go across I'll go in the Summer then I might get to a rally and pick a cheap up a engine there.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Foden Fri Jan 11 2013, 19:18

A friend of mine buys and sells a few Maytags, they dont float my boat but he likes them. They make decent money as well, that one of Dan's was once one of his I believe. There are a few doing the rounds in washing machines at rallies.

Pete.

Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12 2013, 12:07

Pete I don't know what my attraction is for these engines but I think it's how you can get a small twin, with such a nice sound (I don't like the single as much but wouldn't throw one away LOL) IMO it has to be one of the best looking small engines ever!!!! I wonder if when these were fitted to washing machines and they were having running problems the lady of the house would take off the carb and throw it in the wash to clean it out Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum