www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Freeing seized pistons

3 posters

Go down

Freeing seized pistons Empty Freeing seized pistons

Post by blackvanman Fri Jan 04 2013, 19:31

A pictorial example of the forces in play when striking a piston, to hopefully demonstrate why it is fine as long as your piston is not fully at TDC or BDC.
As well as demonstrating the need to separate the crank and conrod if it is at TDC or BDC.
Freeing seized pistons Seize10
more text to follow if needed Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Freeing seized pistons Empty Re: Freeing seized pistons

Post by hob Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:16

If you free the barrel from the crankcase you can put wood blocks between the barrel and crankcase when you get near BDC to save removing the conrod from the crank .......which you may not be able to get to anyway.

Just keep inserting bigger blocks each time you get near BDC until the piston comes out of the barrel.

That's how I got my Petter A1 apart

make sure the blocks don't raise it too near TDC

argosy pump
Villiers mk 15
hob
hob
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:21

hob wrote:If you free the barrel from the crankcase you can put wood blocks between the barrel and crankcase when you get near BDC to save removing the conrod from the crank .......which you may not be able to get to anyway.

Just keep inserting bigger blocks each time you get near BDC until the piston comes out of the barrel.

That's how I got my Petter A1 apart
yep, that works well, wanted to put this up to show why its important as it came up recently Smile

They say if you can pee you can paint, my mother always said my aim in that department was crap.
blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05 2013, 11:57

Andy, thanks for taking the time to do the explanation of the best way to remove a piston I'm sure it will be very helpful to others.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:44

stationary stu wrote:Andy, thanks for taking the time to do the explanation of the best way to remove a piston I'm sure it will be very helpful to others.

Stu.
not a prob, i hope it is helpfull, does the diagram get the point accross ok? will add some text later.

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05 2013, 12:56

It does to me Andy but I understand what your talking about, you'd need to ask someone new that's doing this job for the first time to see if it's helpful to them. I'm sure if anyone doesn't understand they can just ask a question or 2 to get a better idea what your explaining.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackvanman Sat Jan 05 2013, 13:26

stationary stu wrote:It does to me Andy but I understand what your talking about, you'd need to ask someone new that's doing this job for the first time to see if it's helpful to them. I'm sure if anyone doesn't understand they can just ask a question or 2 to get a better idea what your explaining.

Stu.
fair enough lol, I did ask the wife, big mistake! Very Happy

blackvanman
blackvanman
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 12:31

blackvanman wrote:fair enough lol, I did ask the wife, big mistake! Very Happy

Andy, have you a death wish Question Question Question lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stamford24 Fri Mar 22 2013, 22:12

Just one thing I would add, the block of wood needs to be a good fit in the bore, otherwise you could end up with a piston crown like Nuts had in his Kohler! If the piston is crowned, like in a D type, you need to hollow out the centre so that the wood block rests on the outer edge, the strongest part of the crown. 2 Stroke pistons can be a real challenge.

Stamford24
A true Stationary engine owner
A true Stationary engine owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23 2013, 11:35

Stamford24 wrote:Just one thing I would add, the block of wood needs to be a good fit in the bore, otherwise you could end up with a piston crown like Nuts had in his Kohler! If the piston is crowned, like in a D type, you need to hollow out the centre so that the wood block rests on the outer edge, the strongest part of the crown. 2 Stroke pistons can be a real challenge.

Very true you need the biggest bit of wood (preferably hard wood) you can fit into the bore to spead the weight or strike force. Also plenty of soakings with releasing fluid to help.
I've often thought about making up some kind of press to help remove pistons. You'll need a solid table with an engine on it or anything very heavy LOL. then under the table put your engine with the block of wood in then a car jack and jack against the weight of the engine on the table. I know it's something I was thinking of so it might or might not work. I'm lucky to have a steel bench that will take the weight of an engine or two no problem.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down