www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

www.ukengineforum.forumotion.com
Please log in , the forum is open to guests who are now able to view most sections, feel free to become a member , you will then be able to post and reply to topics.

great scott!

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

scott - great scott! Empty great scott!

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 18:26

Well I done it again on my hunt for a centrifugal pump I managed for find another Scott, this time a pa.
A very interesting stroker that came out of ww2.

scott - great scott! 100_4598a

So I now have a hopper cooled, tank cooled and air cooled 2 stroke Very Happy, now that pump lol.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

scott - great scott! Empty Re: great scott!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 09:35

Steve your getting worse lol! lol! lol! Nice looking engine to good not to grab, pumps next left Laughing Laughing , I'm sure you'll find something unusual, you seem to be lucky in that department or know where to look.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 10:27

stationary stu wrote:Steve your getting worse lol! lol! lol! Nice looking engine to good not to grab, pumps next left Laughing Laughing , I'm sure you'll find something unusual, you seem to be lucky in that department or know where to look.

Stu.

Thanks Stu, Its a Case of asking the right questions Very Happy

No more engines now..Been warned, well got to wait until my son turns 1 Rolling Eyes dont know if that included pumps....

my T300 is on perminant loan to my uncle, who is also member on here Chyangwel. and my tank cooled WX11 is off on Sunday.

Got to find a centrifugal pump to create load on these strokers, I may know where there is one, and there is one on ebay, but that might go for silly money, I might sell my domestic pump as its not great for adding load, but my grandad bought it me, and as he has now past on got a bit attached to it, as you can see I have had it a few years!

scott - great scott! ?action=view&current=Norman

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 11:11

Steve can you not reduce the pipes on the domestic pump to add pressure, that would help to load it up.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 12:27

Not enough for 5 1/2 HP at 2000rpm on my other Scott.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 22:00

Here is some of its interesting features.

The PA stationary engine however was different. Designed to meet a Ministry requirement for a portable electrical generator for the Bofors anti-aircraft gun and its Kerrison Predictor, it was produced during the Second World War by both Scott and its former partners Jowett. It was air cooled, petroil lubricated and featured a loop scavenge design with two opposed main transfer ports supplemented by a third "boost" port opposite the exhaust. This arrangement was patented by Scott in 1939, but is often mistakenly believed to be of post-war origin as it was later widely adopted for motorcycle racing engines and power boats after its "reinvention" in the late 1950s by East German motorcycle manufacturer MZ.

And this is also Quite interesting

the induction cooling is fairly novel too, with almost the entire engine encased in a cowling. The casting around the cylinder has fins on the inside which mate with the cylinder fins creating a very rapid and efficient air flow between the two matching pieces. Air is drawn down from the top of the cylinder and expelled through the flywheel, instead of blown over. The exhaust system also deserves a mention and is designed for exceptional quietness. There is an expansion chamber immediately adjacent to the exhaust ports, from which two exhaust pipes run to the hollow chassis cross member, which is a second expansion chamber. This in turn communicates with two more hollow chassis members which act as silencers and also the bedplate for the unit, it is quite unusual for the engine to retain this exhaust system as it is normally butchered off to make them easier to move. so feel quite luck to have a complete one.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30 2011, 10:15

You found a good un Steve well done.
I have to say there's no getting away from it that the British built great engines lots of thought went into them loads of great ideas, yes some didn't work out but on the whole the British engine (have to add motorbike) builders were some of the best in the world. What a shame we lost them all Crying or Very sad except a handfull.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 30 2011, 10:51

stationary stu wrote:You found a good un Steve well done.
I have to say there's no getting away from it that the British built great engines lots of thought went into them loads of great ideas, yes some didn't work out but on the whole the British engine (have to add motorbike) builders were some of the best in the world. What a shame we lost them all Crying or Very sad except a handfull.

Stu.

Atleast im not the only one that finds its design quite interesting! Its quite a ugly beast but I think thats why I like it Very Happy
Quite happy that we beat the Germans to the boost port design lol! just a shame that MZ get the credit!
Its also a shame the handful left are owned by jolly foreigners.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:36

It's not ugly just usual which I like, they always draw a crowd on the field more then can be said for the popular engines that's around.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Sat Jul 02 2011, 00:40

jesus i thought i could buy some engines,you must have had your numbers come or something Steve..
were do you find them to..
well done..
regards,mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03 2011, 19:42

Nah just buying and selling stuff, working my way up, nothing I bought has been much over £100 well except the flat twin stuart, plus had money back from a insurance claim Very Happy

Villiers WX11 WAT went away today Crying or Very sad little sad to see it go as it was a lovely runner, started it up and had 2nd thoughts Laughing owell gone now to be replaced by this another smelly air cooled engine Wink

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 09:47

Skankin_giant wrote:Nah just buying and selling stuff, working my way up, nothing I bought has been much over £100 well except the flat twin stuart, plus had money back from a insurance claim Very Happy

Cheers Steve

And in the case of the Scott SE alot less Very Happy well until I bought a Magneto Shocked

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30 2011, 19:44

Should be in my shed soon Very Happy got it a lot closer.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 31 2011, 06:58

Skankin_giant wrote:Well I done it again on my hunt for a centrifugal pump I managed for find another Scott, this time a pa.
A very interesting stroker that came out of ww2.

scott - great scott! 100_4598a

So I now have a hopper cooled, tank cooled and air cooled 2 stroke Very Happy, now that pump lol.

Cheers Steve

Steve,

Youve more jam than JR Hartley Laughing Laughing

Thats a nice looking engine to add to your collection

What kind of pump are you looking for anything in mind?

Paul

Admin
Admin

https://ukengineforum.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 09:33

I picked up a little centrifugal that should do the the trick there is a pic around here some where, its quite modern but I want function over style.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 21:06

Well I have another Scott in my shed (not 100% if its a PA or PAB?) but here is the pics:

scott - great scott! DSC00587

scott - great scott! DSC00590

scott - great scott! DSC00591

scott - great scott! DSC00593

scott - great scott! DSC00594

scott - great scott! DSC00595

Few close ups of the exhaust system

scott - great scott! DSC00589

scott - great scott! DSC00592

scott - great scott! DSC00588

I think its a Marmite engine with the looks, but its such a interesting engine, Phillips article in SEM are well worth a read.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Tue Aug 02 2011, 23:52

don't you answer your PMs now then??????or was it you didn't get it?????
mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 23:56

What PM?

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Aug 03 2011, 00:00

Skankin_giant wrote:What PM?

Cheers Steve

that's what i thought..
the question was have you got a problem with me????
mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03 2011, 00:03

Not at all, I have been told I come over a little sharp tongued of lately.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Aug 03 2011, 00:11

no we know that you can be sharped tongued.....
it was that over the weekend at Kingsley, i was told by a feller that you had a problem with me....
who he was i don't know,ive never seen him before,but he did say that you were feed up with my attitude,so rather than let it stew i want to see what the problem was,so we can sort it out the proper way.unlike some who shall remain nameless just go around stirring the sh-- and haven't the balls to say it to the persons face...i cant stand spindles people like that..if anyone has a problem with someone then tell them to there face....that's what i call the proper way...

mike...
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03 2011, 00:16

Not as far as I know, only person I know up around this way is Andrew, talked to a few people passing, but dont talk about the forum as a rule.

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by mike d Wed Aug 03 2011, 00:23

well it wasn't Andrew,hes a mate...
if you don't have a problem with me then that's the end of it...same old sh== people trying to stir it up..
or they are jealous or something...
end of problem then..

mike..
mike d
mike d
Life Member
Life Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06 2011, 20:55

Anyway back to the engine Very Happy

Few close ups, Its a very well made beast, alls seems solid and Squaddy Proof! All the castings seem very good and chunky.

Governor Control

scott - great scott! DSC00596-1

Oil Filler

scott - great scott! DSC00601

scott - great scott! DSC00597

and sight glass

scott - great scott! DSC00598

De-Flooding pull toggle, Not connected at the mo, will need to flip the engine over.

scott - great scott! DSC00600

Check out that cylinder head!

scott - great scott! DSC00602

and a very well made Cowling.

scott - great scott! DSC00605

scott - great scott! DSC00604

Cheers Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 07 2011, 10:25

Looks to be a well made engine quite modern in it's day.

Stu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next